PDA

View Full Version : Site compatibility issues in multiple browsers

Nivo
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Hello everyone,
First off, I'd like to thank anyone who can give me some help/extend some advice with respect to my problem. This issue has me completely stumped, and I really do appreciate any response I can garnish from you kind folks.
Here's some context:
-I know absolutely nothing about coding; html, css, etc.
-I have created a very simple web layout in photoshop, sliced it into sections, and brought it into dreamweaver. The site is all based on sliced images. The text is uneditable, etc. The site is for a completed project, so there is essentially no need to update it.
-I have gone through (seemingly) the proper way to get the site up and running. After defining my root folder, images, etc, everything is easy to manipulate and change. I have linked my four pages together, two of which contain links to audio files. All of this has been added to my FTP, and works online.
-When previewing the site in dreamweaver, it looks as it should. When opened in Safari it again, looks as it should.
-When viewed in Firefox, or IE - I basically get the 'slice view' that I have when editing in dreamweaver. There are blue boxes around links, and many of the images on the page are displaced and shifted to areas where they are not supposed to be.
-I've run the browser compatibility check and it tells me everything is fine.

I work purely in design view, and really just wanted to make an extremely simple website so that I could avoid as much coding issues as possible. It seems like there is no 'one off' solution to this kind of problem. After searching around I've come to the conclusion that each individual case requires it's own remedy.

the website is: www.zackniven.com, please check it out in the three browsers.

I know this is asking a lot, but I'm likely going to need very pointed directions as to how to go about fixing this. If any other information is required, please let me know and I'll get it to you as soon as possible.

Thanks again,
Zack.

Corrosive
06-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Zack. Ideally you should learn some code as exporting slices from Photoshop is generally a bad idea. That said you should be able to get rid of the blue borders by adding;

a img {border: none;}

to your stylesheet and that might be a good boost to get you thinking about HTML/CSS and how it should all fit together.