PDA

View Full Version : Making site look uniform in different settings

julianj
05-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Hey there, I'm a relative newbie to Dreamweaver (cs3), i've been using it for about 3 months now, and I'm pretty decent at the technical aspects to it. I was taught to do everything in AP divs and tables, but looking around I see that that is frowned upon.

My question is, if I do make a page in AP Div and tables, or even just plain old css and divs, how do I make it look the same no matter what resolution, screen, or navigator the viewer is using?

Corrosive
05-27-2010, 06:59 AM
My question is, if I do make a page in AP Div and tables, or even just plain old css and divs, how do I make it look the same no matter what resolution, screen, or navigator the viewer is using?

With great care and skill.

There is no one answer for cross-browser/set-up compatibility but you are correct that the best basis for a stable layout is to use relative/naturally positioned divs and CSS. If you are fairly new I'd recommend a fixed width layout rather than trying to get a fluid (%) width one right and then it is down to understanding things like browser defaults, browser quirks, writing the cleanest code you can and the correct application of the CSS Box Model and floats for layout...

...but definitely lay off the tables and apdivs for main layout.