PDA

View Full Version : Cannot place footer correctly

Finland Blue
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I cannot get my footer to go under the content. Can nyone see where I've gone wrong? http://www.travel-experience.net/wrappertest.htm

I have set the footer to clear "both", but it seems to clear only the left column and not the right column ...

Content is not correct, its just a test page for the moment (!)

THANKS for any help.

gentleone
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
It's the absolute positioned divs that's causing this. Your left coloum has a float: left and no positioning, so that one you can clear, but your right column has a position absolute (inline styled) and 4 other divs inside the right column are also absolute positioned. These you can't for the life clear out.

Just make sure that your right column has also a left or right float and all the other elements (boxes, text, etc.) inside you position just wilth padding and/or margin.

Finland Blue
05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I saw I had a absolute position within the right column (don't know why!) so I deleted that.

But I cannot place other divs absolutely WITHIN this right column? How do I place a div, for example, 427 pixels to the right of the left edge of the right column, using margins?

gentleone
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
give that div a margin-left: 427px;

Finland Blue
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks, that worked. But without the absolute settings, adding text outside that 427 margin div, moved that div downwards. Perhaps I need to change layout to a 3 column layout?