PDA

View Full Version : Help with spaces between pictures

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Hi, I'm new at the forum and relatively new on web design, however I've done this before with no problem but this time I have a problem, I'm trying to build an eBay listing using a big sliced picture created using photoshop, the problem is basically on the image based links primary, in my safari they look fine but in windows using IE7 and IE8 they look awful, I tried adding the border="o" and it helped to take the blue border away but the space between the images is still there.

Basically what I id was save the image for web and devices with photoshop and create a preview which gave me the HTML code, I copied and pasted on dreamweaver and replace the images source to point to my server, like I said I've done that before and I did fix the problem before but that was some time ago and I'm not really sure what I did that time.

here is the page http://www.oneway-studios.net/dgtalsales/ebay/minimassager/Listinghtmlcode.html

Thanks for you help.

edbr
05-06-2010, 04:58 AM
its not the best method im afraid, see the errors returned by validation

Result: 16 errors / 3 warnings

line 1 - Error: no document type declaration; implying "<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>"
line 6 column 35 - Error: there is no attribute "LEFTMARGIN"
line 6 column 49 - Error: there is no attribute "TOPMARGIN"
line 6 column 65 - Error: there is no attribute "MARGINWIDTH"
line 6 column 82 - Error: there is no attribute "MARGINHEIGHT"
line 8 column 40 - Error: there is no attribute "HEIGHT"
line 8 column 90 - Error: character "{" not allowed in attribute specification list
line 8 column 91 - Error: character data is not allowed here
line 18 column 160 - Error: there is no attribute "CELLPADDING"
line 18 column 176 - Error: there is no attribute "CELLSPACING"
line 119 column 84 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "requested"
line 119 column 84 - Error: general entity "requested" not defined and no default entity
line 119 column 93 - Error: reference to entity "requested" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 119 column 83 - Info: entity was defined here
line 119 column 106 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "redirect"
line 119 column 106 - Error: general entity "redirect" not defined and no default entity
line 119 column 114 - Error: reference to entity "redirect" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 119 column 105 - Info: entity was defined here
line 119 column 117 - Warning: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "iid"
line 119 column 117 - Error: general entity "iid" not defined and no default entity
line 119 column 120 - Error: reference to entity "iid" for which no system identifier could be generated
line 119 column 116 - Info: entity was defined here

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 05:04 AM
mmm ok, I'm afraid as much as you do that I'm not exactly aware of what I'm doing, hence the help I'm asking, As I said before I'm not an expert, let's say I'm just a complete n00b, can you be please more specific as what I see there is not helping me that much, Thanks.
And now I know it's not the proper method but it's the only method I now and Like I said it worked before, I just don't remember what I edited before when I had the same problem.

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 05:08 AM
Sorry trying to contact you with yahoo, In my forum when we put the yahoo, msn, and other im in our contacts is usually so the users can contact us easier and faster I though the same rule applied here. Guess I was wrong.

domedia
05-06-2010, 05:20 AM
Sorry trying to contact you with yahoo, In my forum when we put the yahoo, msn, and other im in our contacts is usually so the users can contact us easier and faster I though the same rule applied here. Guess I was wrong. Yupp wrong there lol.

There really is no way around learning what all this means ghost.
There's little help from anyone on a Photoshop generated page, because PS really is not a good tool to create any kind of web page. What you have is images in table cells. Looks fine in my Chrome browser though.

What about just exporting it as one image and then use DW to create hotspots on it?

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 06:24 AM
Yupp wrong there lol.

Yeah defly wrong there, Sorry again although from my point of view If I put a link with my im and deny people to add me it would be like open your door, place a Welcome mat and when somebody approaches to your door take your colt .45 and just shoot them in the face. I Moderate/Admin a forum and we have a rule there, if you don't like being pm'ed, set it on your control panel, if your don't like to be reached by email or IM don't add that info on your profile, If you think there are ppl not good enough for you to talk to... wait there's no rule there, that's just life isn't. But like I said that is just MHO.
[/RANT] lol

Anyway about this

There really is no way around learning what all this means ghost.
There's little help from anyone on a Photoshop generated page, because PS really is not a good tool to create any kind of web page. What you have is images in table cells. Looks fine in my Chrome browser though.

What about just exporting it as one image and then use DW to create hotspots on it?

I actually fixed it like 2 seconds ago, turns out I was creating the anchor right over the first image and not before, so add that to every menu bar and boom you have a mess on IE, after I start all over (that's me trial and error) I add the anchor as a separate line right above the first image and then start adding the links, so far Safari looks Ok (it always does, gotta love Apple) and IE is ok as well, if you could check on your Chrome it would be awesome if you don't mind. I guess it was not the right way to solve the issue but well it worked for me lol.

I would like to know about the hotspots that sounds like a real problem solver, would you mind telling me a little bit more about that.
Thanks.

Oh btw the new page is http://www.oneway-studios.net/dgtalsales/ebay/minimassager/ListinghtmlcodeAttempt2.html

edbr
05-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Welcome mat and when somebody approaches to your door take your colt .45 and just shoot them in the face.
bit dramatic, i just dont open the door if im busy, seems to work for me

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Well I would open, say hey I'm sorry I'm busy please come back later, Seems to work for me.
[/RANT]

domedia
05-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Again, it's not how it works here Ghost.

It's not how this forum has worked the last 10 years, and I highly doubt anyone here would want that to change. We've always encouraged people to communicate in the forum, and not by email/IM. It might work for you, but it doesn't work for us.

I'm glad you were able to fix your page though.

GHOSTYAIRO
05-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Again, it's not how it works here Ghost.

It's not how this forum has worked the last 10 years, and I highly doubt anyone here would want that to change. We've always encouraged people to communicate in the forum, and not by email/IM. It might work for you, but it doesn't work for us.

I'm glad you were able to fix your page though.

I know I know I totally understand and respect that, I was just sharing my opinion, isn't that allowed? I'll double check the rules just in case, if is not allowed I deserve to be banned.

domedia
05-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Well you were ranting so I thought you deserved an explanation..

I agree with Ed a little bit here :-?