PDA

View Full Version : Cloning htm pages using css styles

draws
05-05-2010, 11:02 PM
I am cloning an .htm page to create 9 new cloned pages with differing body text content. The goal is to make life easier for myself. Everything is going well in that I modify the body text and "put" each of the new pages to my testing environment.

Starting condition: The first "working" page that is being cloned has a style name of "production1". However, each of the cloned .htm pages contains that same name "production1" and hasn't been changed to "production2" through "production10". They all contain the original style name.

Unfortunately, when I test each of the 9 pages, none of the body modifications appear on my website. I'm thinking that unchanged style name might and not creating entries for the new modules in the styles.css file is the reason why the body information isn't displaying but am not sure.

Just a note: with the exception of new .gif and .jpg images and some text changes, none of the other page settings have been changed. I'm thinking that the styles.css file doesn't reflect unique style names for each new cloned .htm file. Is that correct or am I on the wrong track?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

domedia
05-06-2010, 05:10 AM
I'm not really sure what you're trying to do, but I would look into two approaches that people use in these situations: Dreamweaver template system or include files.

edbr
05-06-2010, 06:09 AM
when you say cloned how do you do this? i often work with a page i am content with call it blank for ecxample then on makinhg a new page save as what ever that will be called. iat that stage though i always heve the page linked to an external style sheet. so i can alter site wide later if i want.
this is just my way of working it is not everyones way however

draws
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your responses. Rather than confuse you with more imcomplete info, I'll take edbr's advice and proceed in that direction. I'm certain, due to lack of background with DW, that I'll figure it out by trying a new path. Will try to be more descriptive going forward.