PDA

View Full Version : ebay listing layout gone wrong

JBD
05-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I've tried to use css to create an ebay listing which looks fine in Safari and Firefox on my mac however the layout corrupts when using Internet Explorer.

Any advice would be much appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250625095546&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

JBD
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Can anyone help me please? Is there a fix I can use for IE?

domedia
05-05-2010, 01:48 AM
When I view the page in my IE8, it all looks fine to me, sorry :-/

edbr
05-05-2010, 02:13 AM
using ietester, it looks ok in IE7 and IE6

Corrosive
05-05-2010, 06:05 AM
Looks broken to me in IE6 I'm afraid. Not sure what you can do about it though as I have no idea what you can and can't do with an e-bay layout.

edbr
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
if its just IE6? how broken?

Corrosive
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Down the bottom where the custom bit is (black background) the boxes are out of line. Probably a double margin somewhere.

edbr
05-05-2010, 09:13 AM
i just checked with IE6,if i wanted to buy i wouldnt be put off by it which is the point i would think

JBD
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments so far...

I've not been able to check in IE6 & IE7 however with IE8 it definitely corrupts. Firstly the menu does not align to the left edge correctly thus the 'contact us' link drops down to another line beneath "home'.

Then the most obvious issue is that the boxes don't align properly. Corrosive, I also think it could be a margin/padding issue or perhaps it could be to do with the float or maybe the width of the div. I'm not sure and just wondered if anyone could spot any obvious conflict/mistake. I guess my problem is I'm not really aware of the number of issues that IE seems to throw at you after everything seems fine when viewed with other browsers.

This is the first time I've tried to use CSS within an ebay listing (opting to avoid tables) and I guess the main issues are not being able to add info to the head tag and link to external style sheets.

Another obvious problem is that although my boxes are big enough to contain the text when viewed in Safari/Firefox, again IE is an issue as the text flows further down the page thus becoming illegible (black text over a black background). Would an option be to have the bar as an image then a css box that could expand accordingly to contain the text?

Once again any input would be greatly appreciated :)

JBD
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention that the small thumbnails which activate the mouseover are also displaying in the wrong location when viewed in IE8...

JBD
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Ok, I've managed to solve some of the layout issues including the menu, thumbnails and some of the box alignment (by removing padding from divs) however I am really struggling with lining up the top row. Also a scroll bar appears but I can't see what I've done wrong.

Please can someone have a look? Much appreciated :)