PDA

View Full Version : Okay...so why won't my rollovers work?

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm a beginner at Dreamweaver so please be gentle if I ask some really basic questions...

I managed to get a really basic ebay template up a couple of weeks ago which was a major achievement in itself but now I'm looking to improve on it and make it a little more professional looking! However, I can't get my rollovers to work? As far as I can tell I'm doing everything right such as naming the original image and the rollover image etc but they're not displaying in either Dreamweaver or the browser. When I view the page in the browser the original images is clickable but when I click it or roll over it nothing happens. Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi Nickie. One of the best ways to get help on the forum is to provide code (wrapped in code tags) or (even better) a link to a live page. Could you provide one of these please? Otherwise we'd be guessing ;)

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 02:21 PM
hmmmm, I've not uploaded the page yet but as soon as I do I'll post the link so all you experts can tear it to pieces for me lol!

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
...so all you experts can tear it to pieces for me lol!

Are we that bad? Lol

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 05:32 PM
LOL, no but I welcome constructive criticism- I grew out of all that huffy stuff years ago so feel free to pull it apart as much as you like!

http://www.jewellery-kit.co.uk/jewellerykittemp/index.html#

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Tut, after all that, I forgot the new user thingymajig and not being able to post links lol!

It's now up on the server- do you mind if I email you the link 'Brigadier General/ Corrosive' lol? You'll see from the first image named '10 x mixed silver plated beads' that the image is clickable where I've tried to make a rollover but the rollover image doesn't appear????

Oh and noooooooooooooo, I never meant you were bad and anyways, I love a bit of constructive criticism- I grew out of all that huffy stuff years ago so feel free to comment- I won't shout, honest lol!

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Eh? Where've my posts gone?

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Eh? Where've my posts gone?

Found 'em for you ;)

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Your rollover seems to be working for me. They are virtually the same image but I get a slight drop in quality when I hover so I know the image is swapping.

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
hmmmmm, the image I set for the rollover is exactly the same but it's much larger so maybe it's working but has resized the image or sommat??? Aint got a clue what I'm talking about here lol but if it's resized it, how can I get the larger image to display and bypass the auto resizing thingymajig- oh and thanks for finding my posts, you'll find looking for them becomes a full time job lol!

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 05:55 PM
oh and thanks for finding my posts, you'll find looking for them becomes a full time job lol!

Moderating this forum is practically a full-time job ;)

Do you mind if I ask what exactly you think a rollover is/does?

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 06:03 PM
it displays/swaps an image in place of another one when you roll over it with your mouse!

did you ask that because I'm blonde lol??? I knew I should never have put that avatar up lol!

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
did you ask that because I'm blonde lol???

Ha, ha. No, but I wish I'd thought of it :mrgreen:

That is exactly what you have got. Your two images swap just fine. One appears slightly lower quality because it has been resized by the HTML but they are definitely swapping.

Did you want something that will display a larger product image in a new window/overlay? http://colorpowered.com/colorbox/ or http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/ ??

nickie1105
05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for but naively thought I could have a larger image as a rollover lol- told ya I was crap at this although I have come on in leaps and bounds- up until a couple of weeks ago, even the thought of even using Filezilla was enough to make me beg the doc for valium lol!

Those links seem way too techie for a newbie like me though...I wouldn't have a clue where to start! Maybe I'll just stick with the simple stuff lol. I'm even laughing at myself here- you must be in hysterics lol!

Corrosive
05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Lightbox2 isn't that hard if you work through the instructions closely. I'm surprised your e-commerce package doesn't come with that function anyway.

phil81
05-06-2010, 01:19 AM
try creating a pop up using the behaviors tool and change it from onclick to on mouse over that works for me!