PDA

View Full Version : 2 (hopefully) very basic questions

EatMoreHippo
05-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hey, I'm very new to HTML and Dreamweaver and I've hit a bit of a snag.

I made a nice webpage in Photoshop and then used the slices to divide them into where I'd like to place my content. Then I saved it as an HTML and opened it in Dreamweaver. Now what I had was basically the base page of what I wanted, when I tried to drag a picture that I imported in it moved all the slices around and made the page completely broken. So the first question is how can I basically set that one picture as the background so it will never move?

The next problem I have is text boxes. Put simply how can I put a square text box that I can add text in with Dreamweaver?

I've been struggling with these issues all week and it's getting tiresome, if you can help at all I'd be very appreciative.

domedia
05-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Hey, I'm very new to HTML and Dreamweaver and I've hit a bit of a snag.

I made a nice webpage in Photoshop and then used the slices to divide them into where I'd like to place my content. Then I saved it as an HTML and opened it in Dreamweaver. Now what I had was basically the base page of what I wanted, when I tried to drag a picture that I imported in it moved all the slices around and made the page completely broken. So the first question is how can I basically set that one picture as the background so it will never move?
First of all don't let PS write your HTML.
Manually save the background you want from PS and then use it in DW.
If you want this area of text to visually look like a box, you can use CSS to style it.

The next problem I have is text boxes. Put simply how can I put a square text box that I can add text in with Dreamweaver? What do you mean exactly with 'text box'? If you place the cursor anywhere in an open document, it should work.

I've been struggling with these issues all week and it's getting tiresome, if you can help at all I'd be very appreciative. Hang in there! There's plenty of smart DW people here.

EatMoreHippo
05-03-2010, 04:12 AM
If you want this area of text to visually look like a box, you can use CSS to style it.

What do you mean exactly with 'text box'? If you place the cursor anywhere in an open document, it should work.

Hang in there! There's plenty of smart DW people here.
Thanks, I thought the slicing thing was pretty stupid but figured Adobe knew better than I.

What I mean with text box is a text field where I can add in text for the user to see. When I click and start typing it automatically places it in the top left of the page, how can I make it so it stays in a designated area?

Also, the background worked well but whenever I place another image it just automatically goes to the top left and I can't move it out of there. What property do I need to change to allow me to move my images freely?

EatMoreHippo
05-03-2010, 06:16 AM

What do you mean exactly with 'text box'? If you place the cursor anywhere in an open document, it should work.

Hang in there! There's plenty of smart DW people here.
Thanks, I manually saved the background and that worked pretty well but I'm still having some trouble. I can't seem to move any pictures I insert with DW anywhere other than the top left corner of the website, is there an option or property I can change to fix this?

Also, for the text boxes clicking also only allows me to place text in the top left corner of the page, is there a way to set it so it will stay within certain boundaries I set for it (that aren't in the top left)?

Corrosive
05-03-2010, 06:40 AM
OK, you need to place your page items within div tags and use CSS to position them on the page. This is the nuts and bolts of web page construction and you'll need to get your head around it.

Try having a read of the tutorials at; http://www.w3schools.com for starters.

domedia
05-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Also look for some CSS layout tutorials. I think this is the first obstacle you need to get through. After you get that down, things are going tot more easier for you :)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html

EatMoreHippo
05-04-2010, 12:17 AM
OK, you need to place your page items within div tags and use CSS to position them on the page. This is the nuts and bolts of web page construction and you'll need to get your head around it.

Try having a read of the tutorials at; http://www.w3schools.com for starters.
Also look for some CSS layout tutorials. I think this is the first obstacle you need to get through. After you get that down, things are going tot more easier for you :)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/css.html
Wow, div tags are amazingly easy to use. Thanks for all the help, I think I have enough knowledge now to complete simpler tasks and start accumulating some knowledge as I do more and more in Dreamweaver.

I know for now my code will be pretty ugly but in a few years it'll start to look a bit better; right now though thanks loads for the help!