PDA

View Full Version : Use of swatches in Illustrator

Interstellar Icon
04-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Hi All,

A few questions about a logo project I'm working on: My client wants an image of a hot air balloon, made of stone, in his logo. He wants the stone to appear like a stone wall, i.e. many small stones put together to make the wall. I know this is ridiculously complicated for a logo, but I want to have a go at it and see if it works - if not, I'll encourage him to simplify.

So, what I've managed to do so far is to place an image of a stone wall and use the Live Trace feature to convert it to vectors. I then dragged the image to the Swatches palette to create a new swatch, after which I'll fill the various part of the balloon with the swatch.

My first question: Will this still be a vector image using this process?

My second question: Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

My third question: Does anyone know of a resource where I might find a free, simple vector image of stones or rocks?

Thanks in advance for any input provided. :grin:

Sam

jaexavier
05-03-2010, 06:07 PM
>>My first question: Will this still be a vector image using this process?

Only if you save the file using a scalable PNG or SVG file format. Using JPG/GIF will make it a bitmap.

>>My second question: Is there an easier way to accomplish this?

This will be a very long answer. Short answer... use Photoshop. If this logo is going to print... it has to be 300DPI also.

>>My third question: Does anyone know of a resource where I might find a free, simple vector image of stones or rocks?

Google Images...

gentleone
05-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Short answer... use Photoshop.No! Not a good idea at all!

If you design logo's than always use a vector based program like illustrator. If you have to scale the logo in the future than you save yourself a lot of hassle.

A couple of weeks ago I had to design a poster and I got a logo from a sponsor made in photoshop. I had to scale it down to a very little logo and the result was a disaster. I had to take another route by using Vector Magic to vectorize the logo first and eventually I could scale it down in Illustrator to the desired size without any quallity loss.
Imagine also if that photoshop logo has to be used for a billboard advertisement... well... trouble again.

domedia
05-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Imagine also if that photoshop logo has to be used for a billboard advertisement... well... trouble again.

Well I can imagine the DPI being <1 for those :)
Would be interesting to find out what they use for resolution, but even 1dpi is overkill for billboards.

gentleone
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Well I can imagine the DPI being <1 for those :)
Would be interesting to find out what they use for resolution, but even 1dpi is overkill for billboards.

I did a little research and designing for billboards than instead of DPI they're talking in DPF (Dot Per Foot :) ). The average for a billboard is 450 dpf and this is around about 38 dpi.

domedia
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I guess I was thinking of those billboards by the highway.. Are those called something else?

38 dpi for something that is 100 feet away :)

gentleone
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
I guess I was thinking of those billboards by the highway.. Are those called something else?

Noop :)

Anyways... I even read that quite some designers that has there expertise in making hugh designs are eventually finishing off there design in Illustrator or InDesign.

http://www.allgraphicdesign.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3086

domedia
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice read.. still wonder if the finished product is more than 1 dpi or not. Can't help but think it's extreme overkill.. but maybe it's just me thinking too much ;)

walkamongus
05-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Stone Balloon??? is your client a Led Zeppelin cover band? haha. I would do as much as you can in illustrator to preserve the scaling, as was mentioned, and go in to photoshop for the stone effect. just my few cents.

gentleone
05-12-2010, 06:04 AM
I did a google on 'bricks vector' and found this one:
http://www.rapidsharegfx.com/vectors/112538-brick-walls-vector-mix.html
And than use the warp tool in Illustrator to wrap it around the balloon.

But than again I think it's quite a ridiculous idea of the client... talk him out of it ;)

monkeymedia
06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
hmm, for that kind of detailed design I'd personally bin the idea of vectors (actually better to bin the idea but hey)

what'd do with that is build a 3d model of a balloon and just render it with a suitable material. If the need arose for a higher dpi version, just re render no problems.