PDA

View Full Version : Templates os commerce

lockon37
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
I have just purchased templates and want to build a web site from a template. (Is is easier?) I hope this will make the check out safe and easier. However the documentation is very poor and I have only done very basic dreamweaver stuff. Can any body direct me in the right direction to a guide (must be easy to follow).

I want to make the site all singing and dancing but know I have a lot to learn. When I load and extract the template then am lost.

Help!!

Thank you.

Corrosive
04-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Have you got the OS Commerce software installed on your server yet?

lockon37
04-26-2010, 01:56 PM
How would I do that. I did download version 3.0a5 ? Help!!!!

Corrosive
04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
It should come with full instructions no?

lockon37
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I have looked and looked but find no instructions.

Corrosive
04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Here you go, try this; http://forums.oscommerce.com/topic/162231-quick-install-guide/

lockon37
04-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Will have a go fingers crossed. But would this help opening the index html file in dreamweaver.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Ian

Corrosive
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
But would this help opening the index html file in dreamweaver.

Hi Ian

If you don't mind me saying, you are asking some fundamental questions for someone who is about to embark on setting up e-commerce.

Opening the index file in DW is fairly pointless. An OS Commerce page is made up of many 'elements' so you'll never see the whole page design in DW. It just doesn't work that way (although CS5 says it will work... I'll have to see that to believe it).

The reason being that it is coded in PHP which needs a server to 'parse' it and return HTML.

You can work on OS Commerce locally by installing a local server (WAMP is good) or you can work online (make sure you are behind a log-in access until you want the site to go live).

I think you may be under-estimating what this is going to take to do. We can help you but it seems like you have a big learning curve ahead of you.

lockon37
04-26-2010, 07:31 PM
I understand now. And thank you for your honesty. Am off work at the moment and yes it will be a big learning curve, but I have time and will get there.

Thank you for your help, and keep one eye on this for me just in case I need any other advice. After I have done this I will try and solve the problems in the middle east. should by easier.

Regards
Ian

Corrosive
04-27-2010, 06:15 AM
I understand now. And thank you for your honesty. Am off work at the moment and yes it will be a big learning curve, but I have time and will get there.

Nice one :)

Thank you for your help, and keep one eye on this for me just in case I need any other advice. After I have done this I will try and solve the problems in the middle east. should by easier.

Yes, of course. You know where we are if you need us.