PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for first few steps

Vicza
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am Victor Soares from Johannesburg, South Africa and am VERY new to Dreamweaver.

I am an engineer by trade and enjoy photography and 3D graphics in my spare time. I have decided to create a website to showcase some of my work, and maybe in future make a little money out of it. My basic idea for the website is as follows:
--> Front page with Contact, About Me, etc and 4 links to the rest of the site:
(a) Photography Portfolio (thinking of purchasing a Flash Photo Gallery for this)
(b) Graphics Portfolio (simple)
(c) Blog - future development
(d) E-commerce section - future development

With this in mind, please could I ask the following:
1 - Is it better to use a Dreamweaver template ?
2 - What language/tools should I use? CSS/PHP/HTML ????:???:
3 - Is it possible to integrate a purchased Flash Photo Gallery into this ?
4 - Can you direct me to some tutorials/links to get me on my way ?

Thanks very, very much
Vic

DWcourse
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
This isn't about designing your pages but will get you started with the basics of setting up Dreamweaver and some very basic HTML and CS: http://dwcourse.com/dreamweaver-mini-course (registration required).

As for your specific questions:

(a) Photography Portfolio (thinking of purchasing a Flash Photo Gallery for this)

Dreamweaver would be fine. Integrating a Flash Gallery may or may not be difficult depending upon the Gallery and the support/instruction provided with it.

(b) Graphics Portfolio (simple)

If you're not afraid of getting into the code a bit there are some nice jQuery galleries suck as Lightroom.

(c) Blog - future development

WordPress is the most popular and, at least in CS4 Dreamweaver won't be much help. You can use a custom template (Many free ones are available). Designing your own look for a blog requires a good understanding of HTML and CSS.

(d) E-commerce section - future development

I'm sure someone else here can offer suggestion on this one. Its not a trivial matter.

Vicza
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks ... I have downloaded - now just need to work through it !!:-D

davidj
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Duplicate post

I would look at Drupal for this. Ticks every box