PDA

View Full Version : Recovering DW CS3 app

bcc1966
04-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I own a license for DW CS 3 build 9.0.0.3481. I work in a home office in a small town in Vermont. Last year I had a window in my office replaced. I believe that my disc for this app was taken by one of the workman. I have approached them about the disc while saying perhaps they accidently packed it with their tools - But without proof, it is very difficult to confront beyond that. I can't imagine what good the disc would do them. BUT since then my hd died. I heard it dying and managed to get a new hd and copy everything over to it before the last breath. Unfortunately, you cannot copy dw over, as I discovered when I opened it and got a catastrophic error warning saying the license no longer worked. I contacted Adobe only to discover that they no longer support CS3, so even though I am a registered purchaser of CS3, they no longer have a download site. They gave me a license recovery proceedure which I have tried multiple times to no avail. Adobe did tell me I could buy up, but I'm using an old G4 with a 533 mhz processor - not good enough for CS4. And a new computer would be expensive. Rebuying CS3 is also expensive proposition. Adobe won't help. Does anyone have any ideas of how I might get my DW to work again? I have part of a new website in dw cs3 - and am at my wit's end. And I am really disappointed in Adobe's refusal to help me. I'm sure they have the application but have been repeatedly told they don't have it any longer.

Corrosive
04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
Adobe won't help. Does anyone have any ideas of how I might get my DW to work again? I have part of a new website in dw cs3 - and am at my wit's end. And I am really disappointed in Adobe's refusal to help me. I'm sure they have the application but have been repeatedly told they don't have it any longer.

That really sucks. Sorry to hear about that. I am amazed that Adobe don't support CS3 any more. It isn't that old and, if someone makes a purchase like that, I think they should honour it for quite a while.

bcc1966
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
When Adobe support says they can't help you, is there a next level of complaint one can reach? I sure haven't been able to figure that out.

DWcourse
04-25-2010, 08:58 PM
If you were registered, Adobe should be able to tell you your serial number.

And, if you can find someone with an old install disk laying around, your serial number should work with it unless you used up all the installs. Even then Adobe support might be able/willing to reset for you.

You could try the Adobe forums but support there isn't very good.

You might try Twitter. I've actually gotten some help there. Try @Adobe and @Dreamweaver and using the #Adobe and #Dreamweaver hash tags.

bcc1966
04-26-2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have my serial number, so that shouldn't be a problem and I don't know about how one uses it up - but I'm not using the application, so it should be okay. I must admit I've never twittered. But after reading your reply, I went over and it appears that I can open an account (until now I thought you had to have a cell phone which I also don't have) anyway, I will figure twittering out and give it a try because I think you're right about an old disc with the same build version.

bcc1966
04-26-2010, 01:43 AM
even as a trial version, I could also probably use that and just plug in my serial number - but I bought the disc. Until now, having the disc for any program I purchased always gave me a sense of security.

DWcourse
04-26-2010, 02:27 AM
If I'm not mistaken, when you install an Adobe app, you have to "activate" it. I think you're allowed 3 activations. Under the Help menu, there is a Deactivate… option that allows you to move the program. Of course, in the event of a system crash that's not possible. But, in the past, when I've explained the issue, Adobe has credited me an additional activation.

Twitter can be useful, an incredible time-waster or both.:mrgreen: