PDA

View Full Version : text paragraphs ruining my layout! :(

zenonithus
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey Guys,

I assign a divtag to a panel in order to use a background image so I can add text over it.

The problem I seem to get is that when writing the text on a single line everything seem fine in the web preview.

Though as soon as I hit enter for a new paragraph despite everything looking ok in dreamweaver on my web preview all my panels around the main text panel seem to have shifted out of place.

whats annoying is that even if I hit backspace to eliminate the paragraph the page is still messed up.

Is this a bug? I cant think of a reason why it would do this :( any ideas?

zebulonzed
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm using a very old version of DWR (MX), but I have that happen all the time in design view ... what I found is that if I click off into an area outside of any structures on my page, DWR reconciles everything back to normal. If I don't do this, it will often remain looking screwy, when it really isn't. It appears to just be a design view glitch. Dunno if that's what you're seeing happen, but I thought I'd toss it up just in case it is. (PS: you can try pretyping what you want in a text editor that allows for 'unwrapping' // ie, removing line breaks // and pasting the text in, or even typing your text directly into the code view and it may behave differently).

DWcourse
04-24-2010, 02:35 AM
Or you could share your code or give us a linků

Corrosive
04-25-2010, 07:53 AM
I know I'm prone to keep banging on about using code view more but look at what your keystrokes are creating in split view and then use code to correct it. Paragraphs should only be wrapped between <p></p> tags. Take each of your paragraphs and wrap them in just this. Tidy up the rest of the DW code and then publish. Hopefully you'll see the difference.

zenonithus
04-25-2010, 09:48 PM
thanks for your replys guys. I accidently discovered that it is the web preview from dreamweaver that is causing the wierd misalignments. When I load up the page outside of DW everything looks fine. so there seems to ba a problem with the internal page preview.

d a v e
04-26-2010, 08:19 AM
the internal preview is just a guide: you always need to preview in a range of browsers. also a link or code would have helped a hell of a lot you know ;)

zenonithus
04-26-2010, 01:40 PM
ah no, the internal preview is fine, it's the web preview I was refering to, when you click the (world icon) button and it launches the variouse web browsers, that was where the bug was. though just launching the web browser outside of the program it seems fine.

yep will definately upload the page next time. I was in the process of doing that when I solved the problem whilst doing so! mad ey?! :mrgreen:

zenonithus
04-29-2010, 02:29 AM
ok folks, seems I got this totaly wrong! dreamweavers internal web browser launcher is fine. the problem was I was viewing different browsers! This actually messes up in firefox :(

I'll try to upload the page later on. really tired now from all this. anyone had any experience with why some things look good in one browser and seem to mess up in another?

domedia
04-29-2010, 04:09 AM
I can't imagine that the Design View in MX is good for anything..
My advice is not to use it at all.

Corrosive
04-29-2010, 07:29 AM
I can't imagine that the Design View in MX is good for anything..
My advice is not to use it at all.

That's good advice. Design View in MX is pretty bad. Once you've put in about five divs and floated a couple it is all over the place.

But this isn't about Design View it is about learning how to understand code. You should replace Pressing 'Return' in your workflow with going in to code view and starting a new <p></p> tag and then adding your paragraph in the middle. Want another paragraph? Then add another <p></p> below.

zenonithus
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
are you all refering to firefox when you mention MX?

I did go over the code and everything seems fine. all the <p></p> look relatively tidy.

It's only firefox that seems to mess this particular page up. I've opened it up in IE and Chrome and it looks perfectly fine, so maybe the problem is with that browser and there isn't anything I can do about it.

domedia
04-29-2010, 03:39 PM
are you all refering to firefox when you mention MX?
No they are two different things.

It's only firefox that seems to mess this particular page up. I've opened it up in IE and Chrome and it looks perfectly fine, so maybe the problem is with that browser and there isn't anything I can do about it.
There's nothing wrong with your browser. An important item in the tool-belt for any web developer is knowing the different browser quirks. You're just not coding it right.
URL?

zenonithus
04-30-2010, 01:26 AM
I dont have anywhere to upload this as of yet, still need to sort out webspace domain etc.

I've attatched the page along with the image folder in this zip to preview offline. When you load this up in firefox compared to other web browsers you'll see what I mean. I still can see what the problem is with the code, so any help would be great.