PDA

View Full Version : Pictures in preview, but not on site

july1962
04-22-2010, 03:08 PM
My apologies....VERY new to Dreamweaver and HTML, but think I'm doing pretty good. Downloaded a template and have been trying to adapt it.

I have everything working on the pages except that none of my photos are showing up on the actual site. I can see them in preview, I can see them in the host website editor, I can see them if I control click on the placeholder and look at it in a new window. They just won't appear on the actual page. (I'm on a mac, btw).

Here's the link to the page: http://www.bandleaderjeff.com/index-5.html

I appreciate the help in advance.

Eric

domedia
04-22-2010, 04:16 PM
My guess is that it's the iepngfix that is messing up your PNG's.
Try removing it from your stylesheet an see if it fixes it.

july1962
04-22-2010, 04:25 PM
My guess is that it's the iepngfix that is messing up your PNG's.
Try removing it from your stylesheet an see if it fixes it.

What part do I delete?

#content img{behavior:url(iepngfix.htc);}.style1 {font-size: 75%}
.style3 {

Also, all my photos are jpgs, except one which I changed to a png just to see if that worked.

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I get;

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/Jailbirds1.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I try to find your images.

domedia
04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
remove #content img{behavior:url(iepngfix.htc);}

style1 is different style rule

It would be better if you did not keep two CSS rules on the same line. Just a good practice

july1962
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
I get;

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/Jailbirds1.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When I try to find your images.

I get the same thing when in Firefox, but not in Safari. I don't understand why. I went into all the photos and changed the permissions.

july1962
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
remove #content img{behavior:url(iepngfix.htc);}

style1 is different style rule

It would be better if you did not keep two CSS rules on the same line. Just a good practice

OK, removed that, didn't work. removed the "style1," didn't work. Still no photos. :-(

DWcourse
04-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Try resaving your images as RGB images. At least some of them are grayscale at the moment.

july1962
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Try resaving your images as RGB images. At least some of them are grayscale at the moment.

Is there something wrong with using grayscale images? I saved one of them as RGB, and nothing changed.

july1962
04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
So I created just a blank test page with one jpg on it and uploaded it. I can't see the photo on there either. All I get is the word "star" which is the alt I typed in.

http://www.bandleaderjeff.com/test.html

DWcourse
04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure about grayscale but I know some browsers choke on CMYK so I thought I'd suggest it.

It looks to me like you've got some weird issue on your server. I can view the images directly (http://www.bandleaderjeff.com/images/xmas-star.jpg) just not when you place them on a page. :confused:

july1962
04-23-2010, 02:03 AM
Ok, got it solved. Thought I'd post the answer here in case someone else ever runs into this.

I contacted the server and there was a setting in the public_html folder called ".htaccess" The permissions had to be changed in that to this:

#RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp|pdf)$ - [F,NC]

They actually didn't have the pdf in there, but when one of my pdf's wasn't showing up, I added it in and that solved the problem.

domedia
04-23-2010, 01:30 PM
That line is commented out, so it should have no effect though.. weird.

july1962
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
That line is commented out, so it should have no effect though.. weird.

Hmmmm...well, maybe they did something else as well, but that's how they explained it to me. It clearly had to do with the server changing some kind of permissions that had to do with the jpgs.