PDA

View Full Version : Content Management System???

paulprice85
04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Hello all, firstly you'll have to forgive my ignorance as I feel a bit lost here. I'm currently designing a website for a client (not been doing this for long) and they want to know about altering certain information themselves once the site is done, eg, amend products they sell etc. I believe this is done through a Content Management System? I need a relatively simple way to incorporate this into the site as I'm by no means a programmer. What do I need to do to my design etc to enable a function such as this? And what interface would they typically use to alter what appears on the site?

Appreciate your help here thanks, I've got a deadline and I need to figure this out!

Cheers

Paul

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Paul. If you are talking shopping carts then the back-end should handle all this for you. Give the client a log in and away they go. If you are talking CMS then we use ModX now. Take a look at the site; http://modxcms.com/ for the product and also this tutorial; http://codingpad.maryspad.com/beginner-tutorials/ is what helped me get my head around it.

cocoonfx
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Corrisive

Madox seems very good... I may implement this for some of my clients. I assume its easy to use and you can fully customise the design etc...

Cheers mate...

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
The thing I really like about Modx over other CMS is that you can very much base it on your own designs. It took me about an afternoon to run through that tutorial and already feel very comfortable with it. No different to using SSI to build a site and then you can plug your own PHP 'snippets' in to make it do what you want.

I'm very pleased with it but must admit it was a post from gentleone that turned me on to it.

gentleone
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm very pleased with it but must admit it was a post from gentleone that turned me on to it.

Oh, I see... well I guess I have to have a better look into ModX than, because I use Joomla now for a while and its also very easy to convert any design/website into a joomla template, but you're pretty much stuck with all these third party Joomla extensions/plugins (There are tons of them, but to find a tableless one is pretty hard).

Okay... ModX... take two! :)

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 01:44 PM
To be fair mate your post was 'I must try out this Modx'. As I am now a step ahead of you I can thoroughly recommend it.

I don't think the extensions are as wide ranging as some of the big boys but you can build your own so who cares?

gentleone
04-21-2010, 02:08 PM
To be fair mate your post was 'I must try out this Modx'. As I am now a step ahead of you I can thoroughly recommend it.
I was also very excited reading the stuff on the ModX site back then, but due to my biggest client I started to build their CMS's with Joomla.
I don't think the extensions are as wide ranging as some of the big boys but you can build your own so who cares?
Building your own Joomla extension can be quite a daunting task because of its complex process, so that's why I'm still dependent on the third party extensions.
Is building your own fairly easy with ModX?

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Is building your own fairly easy with ModX?

If you know PHP or have some favourite snippets or javascript apps then they are dead easy to integrate.

gentleone
04-21-2010, 03:11 PM
If you know PHP or have some favourite snippets or javascript apps then they are dead easy to integrate.

I'll give it a good try with a personal project of mine and see how far I'll get with it :)

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll give it a good try with a personal project of mine and see how far I'll get with it :)

Cool. I've been doing a site for a friend who is a journalist, author and photographer so I'll post a link when I'm done :)

paulprice85
04-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Wow, lots of different possibilities here! I'm not 'big' at all on coding so which one of these would you all say is better to use from an easy to use design-view point of view? And what interface is used for my client to login and make changes to the site?

Thanks again guys

Paul

paulprice85
04-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks for that corrosive, I'll get stuck into that tutorial, I think it's what I'm after.

On the subject of shopping carts, what do you think is the best way to learn? As I've never done it and will need to soon. How to sort out carts and checkout, graphics etc. (bit of a mystery to me!) Ps what is back-end?

Cheers

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks for that corrosive, I'll get stuck into that tutorial, I think it's what I'm after.

On the subject of shopping carts, what do you think is the best way to learn? As I've never done it and will need to soon. How to sort out carts and checkout, graphics etc. (bit of a mystery to me!) Ps what is back-end?

Cheers

If you get on with Modx then the cart of choice seems to be something called 'foxycart'. Check that out. You shouldn't need to code checkout etc. as there are plenty available online.

back-end = admin area.

paulprice85
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Sounds good, cheers.

This is where I still feel a bit confused though, how would ModX be used in conjunction with Dreamweaver. I think I need to know the simple function it serves. eg what do I do with it in relation to Dreamweaver to say what is/isn't editable? And then what does the client do to edit info on the site?

Please excuse my ignorance with this as I've not done this kind of thing before.

Thanks again

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Hey, no problem. Basically all you will use DW for is creating your initial design/layout and stylesheet. Then you break that down into editable and non-editable chunks in Modx. By this point you probably won't go back and use Dreamweaver apart from tweaking the stylesheet a bit.

Everything is done in the admin area of Modx.

Does that help?

gentleone
04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Everything is done in the admin area of Modx.

Corrosive, is the modX back-end user friendly for a noob? I've noticed that a lot of clients (noobs) have difficulties understanding the back-end from Joomla. With this I mean changing content and adding pages/articles (peanuts for you and me, but it seems a complex process for noobs :) )

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Corrosive, is the modX back-end user friendly for a noob? I've noticed that a lot of clients (noobs) have difficulties understanding the back-end from Joomla. With this I mean changing content and adding pages/articles (peanuts for you and me, but it seems a complex process for noobs :) )

Can I answer that once I've handed over the site I described earlier in the thread to the owner? He won't mind me saying that he isn't all that technical so it will be a good acid test.

paulprice85
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
I see! That makes much more sense now. I guess I need to have a play with the software to get to grips with it. I hope you don't mind if I contact you if I have any trouble with it.

Cheers Corrosive!

Corrosive
04-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I hope you don't mind if I contact you if I have any trouble with it.

If you start today you'll only be a week behind me. I'll be coming to you for help :) Modx has a very friendly support forum as well. They've helped me already.