PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver & additional sites question

zebulonzed
04-21-2010, 06:37 AM
I've only used Dreamweaver (MX) with a single site. Will I run into any weird trouble if I start working on a new one, with Dreamweaver recognizing that other directory on my computer? Can I easily jog between the two in a single work session without causing Dreamweaver to be confused? I'm just assuming it caches history and such for either recognized 'site' content/directory, but wondering if there's something special I have to do to toggle between the two (sites) when working.

Sorry for the horrendously elementary question! My shame is thick! :mrgreen:

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Should be fine. Just define another site (Manage Sites). I curently have approx 25 live sites on DW MX.

zebulonzed
04-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks, that's what I figgered. You use DWR MX? Wow, I thought I was the last one on earth :wink: I came to DWR verrry late in the game (I've been using a dinosaur called PageMill, which I stuck with because it was so lightweight and fast), but really love DWR MX for the coding freedom. I tried CS4, but it shot so many holes around me the floor gave way and I fell through :lol: Just couldn't get the hang of it. Do you use any of the CS versions as well as MX?

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks, that's what I figgered. You use DWR MX? Wow, I thought I was the last one on earth :wink: I came to DWR verrry late in the game (I've been using a dinosaur called PageMill, which I stuck with because it was so lightweight and fast), but really love DWR MX for the coding freedom. I tried CS4, but it shot so many holes around me the floor gave way and I fell through :lol: Just couldn't get the hang of it. Do you use any of the CS versions as well as MX?

I am thinking about an upgrade to CS5 web suite when it is available. Not so much for Dreamweaver (although a new version would be nice) but Photoshop CS5 looks really good.

I just end up hand-coding stuff so MX is fine for what I need... A beefed up code editor. I could just as easily use a free one TBH.

Eventually most people abandon 'Design View' anyway. I guess it would be nice for an upgrade because hopefully it will make my workflow quicker.

zebulonzed
04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
I envy you. I just don't have what it takes to stare at code all day and whip out my work. I started in WYSIWYG, being very visually oriented, and have not been able to wrestle myself out of that design-view process. I love working in the code when needed, but that's short burts. You guys that can just blitz through on a white page and turn out websites fascinate me, but I can't do it. I'm just praying there will be W3C compliant WYSIWYG editors created that are as intuitive and ez as DWR MX is now (CS4 sure isn't it). :???: :(

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm just praying there will be W3C compliant WYSIWYG editors created that are as intuitive and ez as DWR MX is now (CS4 sure isn't it). :???: :(

I think It's hard to apply computer logic to situations where sometimes you have to really be 'code-creative' to get the layout you want. There are rules in web design but there is always a number of ways to achieve the same thing and it takes a human with experience to figure out the best way.

That's why I doubt there will ever be a truly WYSISYG code editor on the market. DW is about as close as it gets but it has flaws.

DWcourse
04-22-2010, 02:50 PM
WYSIWYG editing would be a lot easier if you would just get the same thing in all browsers. :sad:

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 03:05 PM
WYSIWYG editing would be a lot easier if you would just get the same thing in all browsers. :sad:

You're not wrong there mate. Maybe one day...