PDA

View Full Version : I cant view my os commerce site in DW

Dgriff
04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi there.

Since this is my very first post (actually it's my second. First post in Introduction!). I have a very basic question. I am beginning to try to customize my os commerce website. Only problem is, I cant seem to be able to view my homepage in DW. I go to the local files pane over to the right and I see all of my files and folders but I must be clicking on the wrong file. I am going to: catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php but all I see are empty boxes with php beside them. I looked at quite a few tutorials but they just showed how to build a site from scratch. They didn't show how to edit an existing site. Help! Thanks.

DWcourse
04-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Your trying to update a dynamic php-based site in Dreamweaver and that's really not what Dreamweaver is for (although the just announced CS5 version is supposed to offer much better support for that).

Basically your question leads me to believe you're not at a level where you should be trying to edit a the code of a dynamic, php site.

If you're just hoping to update products, etc.,most e-commerce sites offer an interface for that and also for making some design changes.

Dgriff
04-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Your trying to update a dynamic php-based site in Dreamweaver and that's really not what Dreamweaver is for (although the just announced CS5 version is supposed to offer much better support for that).

Basically your question leads me to believe you're not at a level where you should be trying to edit a the code of a dynamic, php site.

If you're just hoping to update products, etc.,most e-commerce sites offer an interface for that and also for making some design changes.

Thanks for that. Actually, what I'm trying to do is add a header with a nav bar which I created in photoshop to my os commerce site. I thought I could use Dreamweaver to help me do this.

Corrosive
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
You can do this with DW but the point DWC is making is that you won't be able to use Design View. You'll need to hand code it by changing the styles in the stylesheet.

Dgriff
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
You can do this with DW but the point DWC is making is that you won't be able to use Design View. You'll need to hand code it by changing the styles in the stylesheet.

Thank you. Yes, I am at a very beginner stage but I will try and inport the header onto a blank html page and see how I can plug the code into my header.php file in my os commerce site. Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the CS5 version too. Thanks again.

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 06:02 AM
You shouldn't really need to touch the header.php I don't think. You'll need to dive into the stylesheet. It will have .css as it's file extension. You may want to do some background reading on CSS in the meantime.

A store is a pretty big project for a noob. I wish you good luck :)

DWcourse
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
If you edit the core files in a CMS, e-commerce site, etc. you can lose your changes when the product updates and you do need to keep up with the updates for security reasons.

Corrosive
04-22-2010, 02:07 PM
If you edit the core files in a CMS, e-commerce site, etc. you can lose your changes when the product updates and you do need to keep up with the updates for security reasons.

Yes, good point. You MUST develop a new template as base templates will be updated when security updates etc happen.