PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best method to lay my page...

Adamw
04-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi,

Could anyone please explain to me the easiest way for me to accomplish the attached page layout.

I really have no clue what is the best / simplest way to do it and I dont want to have to spend a month trying to figure out only 1 page :???: ...

Heres what I was thinking, but tell me what you think.

Would it work for me to create a layout in photoshop 799 x 600 pxls in size, that includes the site name, and the images in the locations shown, and with a black background. Then I would put this image on the page. Then above that (can you put text above an image, if so how?) I would place the "enter" "exit" and other links as well as the plain text. The background would be set to the same color as the background of the photoshop jpeg image. and thats that...

Does this sound like its a good way to do it, would it even work? if I did this how would I get the text and links to line up correctly with the background image? As for centering under any resolution, I understand how to center center a single column of information in which all content is centered but how do you get the seperate items that are technically not centered - but positioned a given distance from a center line (AHHH it would be so much easier to explain in person - see the attached image) to all center under any resolution. how are those items ("enter, exit", other links, positioned on the page then?)

OR

Should I create a div tag 799 x 600, and then embed div tags for each of the elements on my layout in that large div tag, and then use the center code? this seems simpler, would it work?

Let me know what you think

thanks!

Corrosive
04-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Should I create a div tag 799 x 600, and then embed div tags for each of the elements on my layout in that large div tag, and then use the center code? this seems simpler, would it work?

Yep, that's how I'd approach it. Big div with your main image set as a background and then your other page elements set inside with div tags and margin/padding to dictate their position.

That's generally how HTML websites are laid out.

Adamw
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
So I created a div tag that was was 799 x 600 and added my photoshop layout (also 799 x 600) to it as a background. - this worked fine. Then I attempted to create a new div tag (23 x 85) that would be located within the space of the first large div tag. But no matter how I tried to position it, using padding, margins, relative, anything it wont show up above the first div tag, or with the specified block size or 23 x 85 or with the background image. All I need to do is add 3 more div tags to this page that would show up above the first large one and center everything but I just cant get it to work! Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Corrosive
04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I have no idea what you are doing wrong. It looks like a fairly simple layout to me. All I can say is you probably still don't understand the basics so maybe (and don't take this the wrong way) step away from your design and do some wider reading on CSS layouts.