PDA

View Full Version : Template Updates

alpha2211
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Hello!

I've just recently started using DW CS4 and I assumed, with it being a professional product, that template editing would be a smooth and streamlined process.

Please let me know if there's something I'm doing wrong here, or if there's a setting buried somewhere in preferences that I've missed. Currently my editing process is thus;
Edit source code
Ctrl-S (Update Template Files Dialog shows)
Click Update
Select Entire Site
Click Start
Click CloseThis is a 5-step process, just to edit a template! I'm quite meticulous when developing websites and tend to make lots of small changes, so I can see this becoming irritating at best.

Surely there's a way to properly automate this so that simply saving the template automatically updates all of my site's files?

If not, is there a proper macro system? I can only seem to find "Record Command" in the menus.

Thanks in advance!

Corrosive
04-18-2010, 10:05 AM
You missed out another vital step as well. You also have to re-FTP your entire set every time!

You could set your site definitions to update automagically 'on save' but it still doesn't streamline much.

In all honesty, if you are comfortable with coding, then use SSI (PHP 'includes') for your site constants; http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-includes.php

alpha2211
04-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi Corrosive, thanks for the response.

I've created an extremely stripped down php cms mainly just to handle template management and I plan to use this for my own site. However, I thought it might be a lot simpler to use flat html for client websites that are likely to remain static.

My main concern is template development. Once a client site design has been agreed & made live I don't plan on making too many changes hehe.

From your response I gather Dreamweaver isn't brilliant for what I want to do :P I'll have to research some more code oriented editing software.

Corrosive
04-18-2010, 12:02 PM
We still use includes for 'static' sites as clients ALWAYS want stuff changing despite best intentions.

If a client wants CMS then we tend to offer ModX as the 'chunks' work like includes anyway.

Dreamweaver is fine for what you want to do but I'd just advise using the code side rather than 'design view'. If it is too expensive for just a code editor then I agree there are plenty of cheaper alternatives out there.

d a v e
04-18-2010, 03:30 PM
why not finalise your template first *then* use it to make the other pages, then you'll only be left with one or two minor updates sitewide