PDA

View Full Version : Ie6!!!!!

davidj
04-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok. This has been ranted over for such a long time I think it maybe the 11 commandment.

What am I on about?

IE6 that's what.

We deserve everything we get. No one to blame (apart from MS who released that pile of shite) but us.

If every developer decided overnight that enough is enough and implemented a redirect to Chrome or FF download page on the event that the site had been requested by an IE6 user. Those users would just go and get another browser. Simples

By mollycoddling these people we don't promote change or progress.

We need to expedite this revolution and we are the people who can make it happen.

</rant>

Im only pissed coz i cant be bothered to IE6 my new site for the sake of a couple of people who should of just stuck with Ceefax.

Flame on!

edbr
04-15-2010, 02:19 AM
Yes!!!!!!!

d a v e
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
it's not so much the individuals (who get everything they deserve, though they deserve so much more)

the problem is the poor companies who just haven't found the time or the money to upgrade their browsers in the last umpteen years, or 'can't' because all their crappy apps run only on ie6 and changing them would mean recoding everything and actually developing it properly this time.

cocoonfx
04-15-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree with DJ... clients need to keep there systems upto date.... I have actually before updated a clients pcs without telling them... They said to me everything works better..... :grin: bit naughty but it solved my problem.

Corrosive
04-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree with DJ... clients need to keep there systems upto date.... I have actually before updated a clients pcs without telling them... They said to me everything works better..... :grin: bit naughty but it solved my problem.

It's not about a specific client's machine though. It's about audience.

mangofreak
04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I agree that IE6 is outdated and that we should move on.
Regarding updates - If apps designed for old browsers do not work now, then there was a problem with them in the first place. Tables still run well in any browser ;) right?

Corrosive touched a very important point - Audience. However, I think that
IE 6 has a small percentage of the market and getting even smaller fast.

According to W3C
34.9 % is the Market share and from that 8.9% is IE6 on the other hand Firefox has 42.2% as of March 2010

Soon enough IE6 will be gone. Cross your fingers.

edbr
04-16-2010, 02:45 AM
the figure for ie6 im sure is populated with cracked xp users im sure that will decrease. As for the old saw about the poor old corporates that cant afford upgrades to the badly chosen systems, how many sites would that really effect. of those companies
are their staff allowed to browse
if so do they not know that their have been governments warning against using ie6 for security reasons
do they not realise they have a bad browser and thats their problem not anyone elses
do they have secondary browsers/
and do they have persona computers or mobile phone for browsing

if none of the above, maybe thats why they cant afford to upgrade their systems instead of waiting how long 5 ,10 20 years?

Corrosive
04-16-2010, 07:26 AM
OK, I have first-hand experience of this and have had this argument with a very large world-wide insurance firm very recently;

As for the old saw about the poor old corporates that cant afford upgrades to the badly chosen systems, how many sites would that really effect. of those companies

Quite a few

are their staff allowed to browse

Yes. of course they are but they don't care about the staff. I'm talking about the websites they want to visit for business reasons. Example, they want to book a swanky manager's away day or a new office floor. They want to screw some local contractor, visit your site and it is broken...Contract gone :(

if so do they not know that their have been governments warning against using ie6 for security reasons

Some do and some don't. The ones who don't hold the purse strings and stand to gain from a nice, fat bonus if they keep IT spend to a minimum.

do they not realise they have a bad browser and thats their problem not anyone elses

Nope, that's how big corps work. It is everyone else's problem.

do they have secondary browsers/
and do they have persona computers or mobile phone for browsing

Only if someone has pushed and whinged and moaned for weeks about IE6 ;)

if none of the above, maybe thats why they cant afford to upgrade their systems instead of waiting how long 5 ,10 20 years?

Don't get me wrong. I am not sticking up for this behaviour/attitude but it is how it is. I agree with all of you that IE6 should be gone and this is just my experience.

edbr
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
They want to screw some local contractor, visit your site and it is broken...Contract gone :sad:
over exagerated, depends how broken and the site that has been developed if for selling left handed tea cups it is probably not relevant, even to large insurance companies

Some do and some don't. The ones who don't hold the purse strings and stand to gain from a nice, fat bonus if they keep IT spend to a minimum.
then let them eat cake

Nope, that's how big corps work. It is everyone else's problem.
not all corps and management are brain dead some read the newsand listen to people who know.
Only if someone has pushed and whinged and moaned for weeks about IE6 ;)
should have been for years already