PDA

View Full Version : Design laptop

Law
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Hello

Im looking into buying a laptop for designing. I will be using Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS4!

Can anyone advise on a good value for money laptop? I wouldn't want to spend to much over 500

Thanks for the help

davidj
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
500!

Think that rules out a Mac

Have a look here

http://www.reevoo.com/browse/product_type/laptop/best_price/300-500-pounds

You dont need a super computer for what you need

Im running a Intel duo @ 1.66 with 2 GB Ram and I have no problem with those apps

My machine is a couple of years old now so you should get a better machine for the same money

Law
04-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks...

Yeah it does rule out a MAC but I think 500 is sensible and should get me something quite decent! I ahve been looking at refurbished laptops and you can get some really good SPEC laptops for around 400 - 500

davidj
04-15-2010, 07:18 AM
id go for a new one

they are cheap enough

edbr
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
definitely new i bought an acer recently and as Mr mcqueen said so far so good cost me $600 US

Corrosive
04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
These guys do some good deals on laptops; http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/

mangofreak
04-15-2010, 05:20 PM
If you can claim your laptop in your taxes, perhaps you should consider a new computer. Also, you should make sure it lasts you a few years. A low end computers will not specially if you use it for work, daily.

Acer - cheap and cheerful.
HP - better midrange - I have one HP Pavilion 17'' screen, vista, 3Gigs ram, 2GHZ, and dedicated Nvidia Card. Love it. Almost as much as a T-bone steak yummy.
Toshiba - mid range - international warranty good if you travel.
lenovo - you have to be lucky. Some are really good some are crap...can I say crap here? A client of mine bought one and It's been a nightmare.
Mac - sweet but expensive.

Corrosive
04-15-2010, 05:24 PM
can I say crap here?

You just did dude :D

dzwestwindsor
04-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Hey I *had* an acer laptop, its about 3 years old, got it for $400.

After that experience with acer, i can tell you one thing- Acer is terrible. X(

I dont know how much they improve as you work your way up the price line, but at $400, it was worth more like ... $200.

But anyhow, got rid of that junk and built myself a custom desktop. :D win !

mangofreak
04-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Acer in general is one of the cheapest computer out there. A reason for that is the materials they use. You can tell by using one, it feels just like a plastic case and flimsy keys. On the other hand, I agree with you that building your own desktop is the way to go. You choose your parts, cpu, hd, size, ram, etc. You know what you have. For those who don't like that stuff, dell offers cheap desktops.

:D

edbr
04-16-2010, 01:28 AM
After that experience with acer, i can tell you one thing- Acer is terrible. X(
yes i know Ive heard that a lot thatswhy i added so far so good, but this one is fine for what i want. i tend to replace every 2 years rather than mess around with upgrades etc.

i prefer desk tops as a main , using laptops very rarely so it suits me . It really depends on how you like to work i guess. you get what you pay for generally of course

dzwestwindsor
04-16-2010, 01:32 AM
yeah definatly edbr, desktops for the win! I dont think i used a laptop since.... january. :)

lol sorry im going off topic from the OP ;)

I guess for the less picky user, Acer works fine... considering its one of the cheapest computers around. but do i recommend it? no. -.- HP works great though, I have one too, no downsides to it.

Law
04-16-2010, 07:27 AM
I do have a desktop which I built around 3 years ago but it has to be a laptop really as im never in one place! I would also like to bring it to work.

Thanks for all the advise guys is been a help!