PDA

View Full Version : Test server xammp vs IIS7

LaserSailor
04-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I am new at creating a web database. Trying to decide which way to go asp or php. I would favor Access as a back end because I know how to program in that, but understand there are some problems with multiple users so would probably go with mySQL.

I know some vb code and have some friends that do professional work with asp, but am weighing that against the extensive web help for php. I have installed xampp and IIS7 on a windows 7 box. However I am confused about what combinations can be used with these services. What becomes the default local host if I start mySQL in XAMPP. Is IIS running all the time, or do I have to stop that service if I start a service in xampp. I have good instructions about how to set up and test php and mySQL, but don't understand if IIS is running all the time and is there a conflict between two services. Also, as an alternative, I want to try asp with mySQL, but can't find much info about how to set up a test server using that combination.

If this sounds confused, it's true, I am.

My application will have some detailed reporting requirements.

Can anyone provide some direction please.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

davidj
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Greg

These technologies can be configured to run together in all sorts of flavours but its normally the commercial hosts which steer us toward a preferred stack.

IIS and Apache are Web Servers and they use port 80. You can't share port 80 across these servers so only one instance is normally used. You can configure a Web Server to use a different port of course but unless you want to code using these different technologies then what's the point.

A long time ago there was a financial hit when choosing a Microsoft environment but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

My favoured wizardry is PHP, MYSQL on a bed of Apache. The support is fantastic and its got a massive following.

If you want to discuss this further PM me with your messenger details.