PDA

View Full Version : Naming Files

Adamw
04-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Hi, I am completely new to web design and trying to teach myself with adobe how to's book. I have a remote site and set up a local site and that is good, now I am going through trying to get the pages started and Ive already hit a road block - one of many I'm sure...

When it comes to naming page files I got it that the home page should be named either index.htm or index.html but what about other pages - such as an enterance page that links to the home page, what about all other pages? Is there a certain way to name them like with the home page?

mangofreak
04-08-2010, 05:44 AM
The first page or Home page, is by default index.htm or default.htm or html
the other pages can be name whatever you find appropriate, contact_me.htm, aboutmycompany.htm

However, the "page title" should be something that would clearly indicate what the page is about.

hope that helps.

MCD
04-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Make sure your files are given a name that will help you identify it. For instance mykids.html is more descriptive and is easier for you to identify than page2.html

dzwestwindsor
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Also, a quick note- adding on to what mangofreak said-

Titles are important in SEO. So don't make your homepage title- "The Homepage". instead, make it "Adam's Food Products | Washington, DC | Best Food Products Around"

something like that ;) but also name your files (not titles) just the way that MCD said above.

Adamw
04-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Okay, so if I want www.mysitename.com (http://www.mysitename.com) to be a landing page through which you enter to a home page with various content or leave back to say google, should I name this page file something like default.html and then name the home page - that was accessed from the landing site www.mysitename.com (http://www.mysitename.com), index.html?

Corrosive
04-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Your landing page would normally be index.html (or .php if you are going to use my 'over18' solution) and then the home page could be home.html (php). As the guys have said, make your titles descriptive.