PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Carts

Jules1777
04-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi

Can anyone recommend a shopping cart to use for my clients. I have generally stayed away from e-commerce sites but now I am starting to do this, and am needing some advice as to which one to use i.e. cheapest, most reliable, etc.

Thanks in advance
Jules1777
:confused:

Corrosive
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Thing is Jules, if you get 20 replies you'll get 20 different recommendations as it really depends on your knowledge levels and how much you/your client want to be able to do. I can give you some I've worked with;

Zen Cart: mainly CSS based and pretty easy to style but the back end can be a bit tricky to work with and can take an age for the client to grasp.
Magento: my cart of choice so far for ease of use but the premium version that has all the really cool stuff is a yearly license and can be expensive.
OSCommerce: I found it really hard to make it look good but it was quite a while ago so might give it another crack one day.
Paypal 'Buy Now' and 'Add To Cart' buttons: Are really simple to use and are great if your client has only a few items to sell. I have used it for an author friend who only has three books written so far and probably will never write that many.

Hope this helps a bit but the choice is really yours and based on the needs and budget of the client and there is so much choice!

Jules1777
04-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks Corrosive

Are they all secure?
Also I have a site already designed in Dreamweaver CS4, and need to incorporate a shopping cart. Do any of these let me do this through Dreamweaver, apart from Paypal as I have used this before?
Also do they all charge a % like Paypal does for each purchased item?

Jules

Corrosive
04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Are they all secure?

Everyone will tell you their product is secure and, unless you have the coding skills of an industry expert, you really won't know either way until something goes wrong. Most packages will include regular patches and updates so stay on top of these.

Also I have a site already designed in Dreamweaver CS4, and need to incorporate a shopping cart. Do any of these let me do this through Dreamweaver, apart from Paypal as I have used this before?

You can always style a cart to look like your web pages. That isn't hard with some CSS knowledge.

Also do they all charge a % like Paypal does for each purchased item?

That depends on who you use as a payment handler. Again, loads of choice, Worldpay, Nochex, Paypal, Google Carts and so on.

You just need to go and do some research on this and make an informed decision. This is too wide a topic for a forum thread! Google is your friend :)

Jules1777
04-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks again, I have CSS knowledge so that shouldn't be a problem then to incorporate the shopping cart into dreamweaver.

Will go away and do some research on the % payment option. :grin:

Cheers

Corrosive
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
OK, but you need to get away from the phrase 'incorporate the shopping cart into Dreamweaver'. You are incororating shopping cart functionality into your website and not DW. DW is just a tool to help you with styling and you won't be able to manipulate most carts in Design View as you would do a standard web page. If you want DW plug-ins then suggest you look at something like; http://www.webassist.com/