PDA

View Full Version : Time and Font Query

Melchior912
04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I wish to have the font Lucinda Caligraphy in my header but I notice when I check it in IE6 it just uses a default font, however when viewed in newer browser it displays the correct font.

I also wish to know how to set the date so that when users log on to the site they will see the correct date, currently all pages show the date I last worked on them.

I used the Dreamweaver inset date and then copied this to my asset panel and then backinto the footer of each page is this the correct method?

domedia
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
I wish to have the font Lucinda Caligraphy in my header but I notice when I check it in IE6 it just uses a default font, however when viewed in newer browser it displays the correct font.
Do you want us to take a peak at this?

Melchior912
04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Yes I am doing that but I think different users may have posed their question with a different syntax. We have not yet purchase a host so have no url to put up. Hope to do this perhaps next week with a bit of luck.

Ricky55
04-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Displaying fonts correctly has nothing to do with the browser you are viewing in, its just if that particular font happens to be installed on the system you are testing on.

That why we try to stick to what we call web safe fonts, this is a base of about 8 fonts that are installed as standard on windows PC's and Apple Macs. You have a choice of some san serif fonts like Arial and Verdana and serif fonts such as times new roman and georgia.

If you deviate from these and the font is not installed on a users machine it will simply be swapped for a nearest equivalent this can sometimes be way off though. To predict this you can specify in your style sheet.

For example :

font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Ariel;

If you must use a specific font, you can either use an image, ideally with image replacement using CSS, or you could try one of the newer techniques such as Type Kit or FLIR or sIFR.

Regarding the date you can use PHP to do this, its just one line of code if all you want to display is the current date. Google this.

Melchior912
04-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks you very much