PDA

View Full Version : restore dreamweaver sites after computer crash

popnowlin
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
My motherboard failed and I now have a new computer. I saved the old hard disk as backup and also have carbonite backups. I've installed dreamweaver on my new computer and would like to restore my configuration, and specifically my managed site information, from either of my backup locations. I can see my en_US/Configuration files from the old computer but if I copy them in place of the new installation, when I start up dreamweaver it changes the name of the Configuration folder to Configuration-1 and I can't get at the old files. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I have 10 managed sites in SiteCache and there has to be some way to recover them.

Thanks...Jerry

mangofreak
04-05-2010, 03:32 PM
First of all I would suggest telling what kind of system you have, PC/MAC?

popnowlin
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry. The computer that died was Windows Vista. The computer that replaced it is Windows 7. I have dreamweaver CS4.

DWcourse
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I have instructions for doing it on a Mac at http://dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/recovering-lost-site-definitions.php

For PCs the site defs are stored in a registry:

Adobe Dreamweaver CS 4 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Common\10\Sites
Adobe Dreamweaver CS 3 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Common\9\Sites
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common\8\Sit es
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Common\2004\ Sites

I don't know if you can access them through your backup or not

This page might help: http://www.josh.biz/tech/8-dreamweaver_site_definitions.html

mangofreak
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't know if this would work but, I remember doing it with windows XP. I re-installed DW, then copied my files to the same place (C drive - My Websites folder) where they were before. Then, went to the Documents and settings (Win 7 I am pretty Sure is under Users) and copied the old folder from Application data, where all the definitions were and put it to then new install place under application Data. Then I re-started DW and it recognized the old settings.

Hope that works for you. I haven't done it with Win 7. However, I would try doing the same if I had the same problem.

popnowlin
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Alas, it looks like the only way to recover from this problem is to hand edit the window's registry or start from scratch. DW has 117 keys and four sub-trees in the registry for each site and I had 10 sites. And of course I don't have the registry from the old computer unless it's hidden out there on the old drive someplace. Yes, I've recovered the site source files from my backups so backups are essential. However, I'm going to have to start over from scratch creating sites. What a drag. Thanks to everyone who contributed to my request. Great forum.

mangofreak
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I just re-read your first post. If your motherboard is dead, that doesn't mean your hard drive is dead. Why not use your old hard drive as your system drive. The only thing you need to install is the drivers for the new hardware. Your sites should be working just fine. I say that because, I build my computers from scratch and I have swapped and changed Motherboards and HD's many times. unless you got a dell or something like that where even the bios is a pain made only for their systems.

Good luck on whatever road you take. :)

jaexavier
04-06-2010, 03:31 PM
To attach your old HD into your new system you must:

1) Power off computer, remove cover of new computer, and find a spot for your old HD.
2) Determine if your HD has SATA or IDE interface and make sure your have the appropriate cables. Then attach SATA to SATA or IDE to IDE interface.
3) Connect power cable from power supply to HD.
4) Power On and Enter BIOS config
5) Find some option to auto-config your HD
6) Save changes and exit BIOS, then boot into Windows 7

If your uncomfortable or don't want to do this, take it to a shop or ask a computer saavy friend/co-worker OR if your under warranty ask them.