PDA

View Full Version : confused about templates

xashx
04-01-2010, 07:16 AM
New to Dreamweaver and I'm confused about templates. I'm making a portfolio site for myself. I want to make the about me, gallery with thumbnails and stuff. Do I make the gallery in the workspace section first, then make a template out of that? Then after I make my gallery template do I then make another template from that for the "about me" page? I hope i'm clear on this because I don't get it. Need help.

DWcourse
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
It looks like you've got some reading to do but, to get you started…

In Dreamweaver you create and use a template (.dwt) fie when you want to create a series of pages with the same basic layout. YOu can create the template from scratch by choosing menu: File>New… and in the New File dialog
choosing the Page From Template category. Or you can create a template from an existing page by choosing menu: File>Save As Template…

In either case the file is saved as a .dwt file in the Templates folder of your website. To be useful, you have to add editable regions to your template. When you create a page from the template (menu: File>New… and then choose the Page from Template category in the New File dialog), you can change the content in the editable regions.

When you update and save the template itself, you can pass through the changes to the non-editable regions to the pages that were created from the template.

And just a couple of warnings:

Never create a new file from a template by choosing menu: File>Save As…
Don't save anything but templates in the Templates folder.

xashx
04-01-2010, 05:07 PM
That explained a lot and thanks for your help!

Ricky55
04-01-2010, 07:34 PM
They're crap anyway, use PHP includes, much easier to maintain and implement.

See Corrosives tutorial on them, link from Home Page.