PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze pages

cocoonfx
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Hello

I have been asked to create a squeeze page for a new client... I hate squeeze pages as often there a cheeky way of developing a marketing database. Does anyone else have a positive view on Squeeze pages???

DWcourse
03-26-2010, 02:18 PM
I hate having to give up information in order to view content. It usually drives me away. At the very least I think you should give something worthwhile (a newsletter, report, tutorial, etc.) for folks giving up their info. And offer them a way to opt out of giving the info altogether.

But then I'm probably not the target audience.

domedia
03-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Positive: Squeeze pages work. They're designed to sell :)

DWcourse
03-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Positive: Squeeze pages work. They're designed to sell :)

Well yes, there is that.

edbr
03-27-2010, 02:41 AM
yes it would be exit stage left for me too. i think developing a database is entirely the function .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeeze_page

Corrosive
03-27-2010, 07:37 AM
OK, my positive and a reality check. Every time you are online you are broadcasting information onto the web. I don't mean your bank details or anything like that (as long as you are careful) but I mean information about you, your personality, your likes and dislikes. It is the 'trade-off' of the web.

You ask Google to show you results about getting some tennis lessons by typing in some search terms. Google stores that information and then returns advertising aimed directly at you. Adverts for tennis shoes and racquets. They also share this search information with advertisers.

This can also be achieved with Cookies left on your machine leaving a trail of breadcrumbs everywhere you go online. It also happens on Social Networking sites. Most of us have Facebook and Twitter accounts right? Well ads are targeted specifically at you and what you have typed into their website. Just because your profile is set to 'private' doesn't mean it is.

The point is that Squeeze pages are doing exactly the same thing. It is called 'risk and reward' and it is basic human nature. The risk is that you get some spam or get marketed to but the reward is that you get into the website you wish to visit. You may get an advertising e-mail once in a while but that doesn't really matter because you have been keen enough to view the site contents to freely give your details away.

Search Engines are just bigger, more clever Squeeze Pages and your stand to stop that might cost you a job. Honestly, as long as you think the customer is on the level and just wants targeted advertising based on his visitor list rather than a blanket approach then go for it.

We all do it every day on the web anyway. No one holds a gun to your head until you sign up for a Facebook account or make a Google search and no one will force visitors to enter their details in your page.

That's my 2.50 worth anyway ;)

cocoonfx
03-29-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree that they do sell, and I agree with Corrosive, but I am seeing a trend with clients having these so called mentors who are web marketing experts insisting that they have these pages...

At least for a web designers view they will come to us to build them.....

Its been interesting to see what peoples views are on them anyhow.

jaexavier
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
There are brochure sites and squeeze pages

Brochure sites are designed to show and tell, often times employing much more graphics than text.

Squeeze pages are designed to be read in it's entirety, much less graphics but more conversational and persuasive text.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

mvlocsin
01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
To make the long story short, If squeeze pages is what you want or need word press is the answer for that using a sensational theme called optimise press. Thats it, thats all you need. go to optimisepress.com