PDA

View Full Version : Replicate shadow effect in Photoshop/Illustrator

Interstellar Icon
03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to replicate a logo for a client that was created by another designer, and I haven't been able to figure out how to recreate the drop shadow on the type.

Here's the logo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/HillcrestLogo.jpg (http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff183/DesignDude/?action=view&current=HillcrestLogo.jpg)

When I use the Drop Shadow effect in both Photoshop and Illustrator, the shadow always pulls away from the type. It almost looks like some 3D effect was used, but I'm not sure how to go about finding it. (I'm self-taught, so please forgive my ignorance.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions... :-D

Sam

d a v e
03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Once you have your yellow text set up the same as in the image at the same size and with the same tracking (space between letters) and you have the border applied to the text,

then with text layer selected keep your finger on the alt key and press the left cursor key about 7-15 times to copy the layer and move it to the left. this will produce the shadow effect you have above ;)

gentleone
03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
in both Photoshop and Illustrator

and if you're designing/working on logo's than stay away from Photoshop... use only Illustrator.

Interstellar Icon
03-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Once you have your yellow text set up the same as in the image at the same size and with the same tracking (space between letters) and you have the border applied to the text, then with text layer selected keep your finger on the alt key and press the left cursor key about 7-15 times to copy the layer and move it to the left. this will produce the shadow effect you have above ;)

Thanks very much, Dave. Could you tell me specifically what you mean by "the left cursor key"? I've tried alt-everything-I-could-think-of, and none of it's working. :roll:

Sam

d a v e
03-26-2010, 01:22 PM
er, these keys here
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/keyboard.gif

Interstellar Icon
03-27-2010, 06:55 AM
er, these keys here
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/keyboard.gif

Yep...that's the first thing I tried. When I do that, it decreases the tracking between all of the letters. (When I press alt-right cursor key, it increases the tracking.) What am I missing?

Thanks,
Sam

d a v e
03-27-2010, 07:16 AM
select the text layer, not the text itself ;)

Interstellar Icon
03-30-2010, 01:22 AM
select the text layer, not the text itself ;)

Hey Dave,

Sorry to be so dense, but I still haven't figured out how to do what you're talking about. Here's what I've tried:

1. Selecting (highlighting) the layer in the Layers panel
2. Selecting the content of the layer in the layers panel by ctrl-clicking on the image in the Layers panel

I've tried this in both Illustrator and Photoshop. Is there some other way to select a layer, or is one of these supposed to be working?

Please let me know your thoughts when you have a moment... :-D

Thanks,
Sam

d a v e
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
have you got your keyboard shortcut keys set to default on the options?

when my screen looks like this i keep my finger on the alt key and tap the left cursor key and it works for me ;)

Interstellar Icon
04-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Hallelujah! :-D I got it to work, and it's a much, much simpler solution than others I've received from other forums. I think I must not have had the Move Tool selected before, and that's why it wasn't working.

Props to you, Dave. 8-)

Thanks,
Sam

dropaduce
04-09-2010, 08:14 AM
There are so many ways to accomplish the same effect in Photoshop. You will begin to realize this the more you familiarize your self with the program.

Example:

1. On a White canvas, using the "Type Tool" type the word 'example'.
2. Create a drop shadow (located in the fx button at the bottom of the layers pallet)
3. Now select the "Move Tool" (remain on the same layer as the word 'example')
4. With Type Tool selected hold down the "alt" key followed by the up arrow, then left arrow, then up arrow, then left arrow.

Repeat step 4 as many times as needed to create the desired effect. Make sure you hold down "alt" the entire time you are pressing the up then left arrow keys.

Hope this helps.

d a v e
04-09-2010, 10:31 AM
There are so many ways to accomplish the same effect in Photoshop. You will begin to realize this the more you familiarize your self with the program.

Example:

1. On a White canvas, using the "Type Tool" type the word 'example'.
2. Create a drop shadow (located in the fx button at the bottom of the layers pallet)
3. Now select the "Move Tool" (remain on the same layer as the word 'example')
4. With Type Tool selected hold down the "alt" key followed by the up arrow, then left arrow, then up arrow, then left arrow.

Repeat step 4 as many times as needed to create the desired effect. Make sure you hold down "alt" the entire time you are pressing the up then left arrow keys.

Hope this helps.

he's done it already :)

dropaduce
04-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I realized that after creating the post. ...was to lazy to edit it. :lol:

domedia
04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
But did any of you guys notice that the black shape is not a shadow?
As in it's not the same shape as the text.

It's very close, but not just a duplication of the shape.

d a v e
04-09-2010, 03:53 PM
dom yep i noticed it's not a shadow, and it's pretty darn close, though i didn't have exactly the same font version to play with.
it's as near as damn it the same doing it the way i suggested.

gentleone
04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey guys, I don't wanna mess things up here, but what if this clients wants his logo (or any clients logo) on a billboard or even bigger on a banner that's hanging on a building.

I'm not a logo developer pur sang, but I've learned to make logo's vector based in Illustrator so that you can scale it easy without loosing any quality. Bitmap/raster logo's made in Photoshop will give troubles with resizing.

mangofreak
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
The effect can be achieved by using the 3D effect in Illustrator, the only requirement would be to have the font. Perhaps too late though.