PDA

View Full Version : WebAssist ?

MCD
03-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I use a couple of the plugins that WebAssist offers and I like them. I'm still fairly new to Dreamweaver after moving to it from Expression Web. What is the general view about WebAssist's products?

davidj
03-22-2010, 01:04 PM
If they produce clean code and make you more productive then fine.

I would expect that a professional developer be familiar with how to write the required functionality. If this is the case and that developer chooses a plugin due to time constraints and deadlines then fine.

And to someone who is not interested in learning the underlying code then i say fine too as long as you dont want to extend the functionality of the plugin as you wont know where to start.

Copy and pasters i say NO. They spend their day copying, pasting and scrounging code from forums.

I always promote learning above any skillset shortcomings plugin. After you have learnt the underlying language and you still rate these plugins then fill ya boots

Save your money and learn to code.

MCD
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
DavidJ, I can code the HTML and CSS but programming languages have always given me fits. I like Dreamweaver and it speeds up the process for me. At times a third party software is beneficial for someone like me who has accepted the fact I'll never be a fantastic designer or a good programmer. I work hard but sites such as my last one at http://www.warrengarden-center.com is about as good a job as I can do. As you will note, the site is fair at best. If I need a third party product I want to use the best one I can. It is for that reason that I asked about WebAssist.

davidj
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
programming languages have always given me fitsIf someone was to sit down with you and cover all aspects of the relevant language then I'm sure you would think differently. You just need someone to take a bit of time with you and explain how everything works. Its easier than you think it is. If you have made your mind up and decided that programming is not your bag then I respect that too.

WebAssit are popular Dreamweaver plugins so im sure you will be fine with them. I'm guessing there is a support forum for their products so you wont have any problem using them.

Corrosive
03-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Personally I've looked in to Web Assist a few times. I am on their mailing list as well. I research a lot before investing in products and discovered very mixed reviews about their stuff. Some say they are very good and others not so good.

I'd agree with DavidJ that as soon as you want to step out of the norm with Web Assist then you'll need some code skills anyway and my final choice was to learn some PHP. Not everyone's choice I know.

As with everything. Research what you are buying and realise the limitations as well as how much it could help you.

By the way, don't sell yourself short. I really like the site you have linked to. Clean and professional. Great job :)

MCD
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Guys thank you for your kindness. I would like to understand PHP but it whips me. I really do need someone teaching me the skills. CSS and HTML I can grasp. If I could just pull database results and output them to a page I'd consider that a major accomplishment.

This is not an excuse but I have a severe physical handicap (spinal cord injury) and I'm 51. Typing takes me 10 times longer than it takes most thus I like Dreamweaver and such to help speed things up a bit. Look, I do not want or need sympathy, just letting you know where I am coming from.

Using my last project as an example, do you think I am at least a fair designer and should proceed? Where is the best place to at least get a grasp of PHP?

davidj
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
check my signature

davidj
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
That's a nice site you have there

MCD
03-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks David. I know the site is not great but I hope it is solid from a design point of view.

I am going to consider your tutorials and lessons very strongly. I tried learning ASP on my own but I stayed frustrated. Is PHP more difficult or would you say comparable to learn?

Corrosive
03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Using my last project as an example, do you think I am at least a fair designer and should proceed?

Yes, absolutely. It would be a shame to waste your talent and not develop it further. As I said, don't sell yourself short.

MCD
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys for your help and encouragement. How long does it take the average person (my case maybe slower) to become familiar with PHP so that I can process forms and manage databases? I assume MySQL databases.

I'm thinking about taking your classes David.

gentleone
03-22-2010, 07:17 PM
well... let me also put a feather in your *beep* :mrgreen:

No seriously, you really did a great job with that site of yours. Clean and semantic code... me like :) You're definitely on the right track.

edbr
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
yes i would agree with the above,
as for mysql and php . PHP is very versatile but the basics will not take so long , theres a moment in the process where a light bulb goes off in your head at each stage i always think. personaklly i am far from being a good php programmer but generally i know enough to implement what i want, or at least know where to look .
the tutorials here and Davids course will easily set you on the way he is very happy to teach some one who wants to learn.

MCD
03-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks Ed. I am going to take David's course. I feel like I'm at a point that I'm stuck doing the same basic sites over and over again or I can get a better grasp of CSS and learn at least the basics of PHP.

I appreciate all of you guys for being patient with me on this one. I think there are many people like me who now know enough to know what makes a good site and that we have a lot to learn.