PDA

View Full Version : Editable regions in CS3

Jacki
03-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Hey. :-)

I've been working on a website for my mom's new business. My friend made a template that we've been working from. Well, last night my dad was 'trying to help' but...I get the distinct feeling that he messed something up. Now, instead of the middle column editable region being in the middle column the way it's supposed to be, it now encompasses the entire page.

This is the code for the main content editable region. I don't know if this is going to be helpful or not...

<div id="mainContent">
<div align="left"><!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="EditRegion3" -->
<h1> Main Content </h1>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent aliquam, justo convallis luctus rutrum, erat nulla fermentum diam, at nonummy quam ante ac quam. Maecenas urna purus, fermentum id, molestie in, commodo porttitor, felis. Nam blandit quam ut lacus. Quisque ornare risus quis ligula. Phasellus tristique purus a augue condimentum adipiscing. Aenean sagittis. Etiam leo pede, rhoncus venenatis, tristique in, vulputate at, odio. Donec et ipsum et sapien vehicula nonummy. Suspendisse potenti. </p>
<h2>H2 level heading </h2>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent aliquam, justo convallis luctus rutrum, erat nulla fermentum diam, at nonummy quam ante ac quam. Maecenas urna purus, fermentum id, molestie in, commodo porttitor, felis. Nam blandit quam ut lacus. Quisque ornare risus quis ligula. Phasellus tristique purus a augue condimentum adipiscing. Aenean sagittis. Etiam leo pede, rhoncus venenatis, tristique in, vulputate at, odio.</p>
<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><br class="clearfloat" />
</div>
</div>Thank you!!

domedia
03-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Post a link to the whole thing.

DWcourse
03-15-2010, 04:11 AM
The code you posted looks right but it could be you lost the link to the template or some other issue. A link to the page will help us help you.

Jacki
03-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey guys. Sorry...I wasn't really online over the weekend, but I was doing quite a bit of website-ing. What happened was somehow the margins got way messed up, and the padding and everything. I have no idea if my dad did that or what. It took me almost 10 hours to look at it and figure it out!!

I do have one more question, though. I've been fighting with the footer ever since we started. I believe I've uploaded the code. Let me know if I didn't do it right.... :confused:

DWcourse
03-19-2010, 02:25 AM
What are you trying to do with the footer and what's the problem it's giving you?

DWcourse
03-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Although one thing I do see is that you are using the same image as the background in the .thrColFixHdr #footer p style rule and as an image inside the footer. You probably want to delete one of those.

Jacki
03-19-2010, 03:34 AM
OK, I took out the '.thrColFixHdr #footer' image...and this is what it does:

Now...I don't really know much about CSS at all - I do know more about HTML, but still, not a lot. (that's why I'm taking the Dominate Dreamweaver course. :)) So I may ask some kind of stupid questions...hopefully not too stupid though.

DWcourse
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Actually, can you make a page from the template, post that somewhere and post a link? It's hard to diagnose a problem without being able to see it and most people prefer not to download files for viewing (virus risk, etc.).

Jacki
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, here's what I came up with at 6:30 this morning. :) Let me know yea, or nay on it.

Thanks!

http://www.ccrhorsetraining.com/footer.html

DWcourse
03-19-2010, 02:32 PM
You're kind of getting ahead of yourself editing one of Dreamweaver's built-in layouts without really understanding how they are put together. You should look at the comments that are included with the styles before editing.

You have two major issues I notice right away.

The most serious is that you have altered the #mainContent style. The size and position of the mainContent div is suppose to be determined by the margins which you have deleted. It should not have a width set.

So this style rule:

.thrColFixHdr #mainContent {
width: 440px;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
margin: 0px;
padding-left: 7px;
padding-right: 7px;
padding-top: 20px;
}

Should look something like this:

.thrColFixHdr #mainContent {
background-color: #FFFFFF;
margin: 0px 240px 0px 200px;
padding-left: 7px;
padding-right: 7px;
padding-top: 20px;
}

You'll also applied the fltrt style rule to the mainContent div.

<div class="fltrt" id="mainContent">

Once you've made the changes in the #mainContent style rule you need to "unapply" the class flrt.

Second, You also added a min-height: 1300px; property to the #container style rule. That causes the container div to stretch below the footer and gives you extra white space below the footer. You should delete that property from the rule.

Jacki
03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
OK. I totally agree with you on the getting ahead of myself. I'll work on making the changes tomorrow! Thanks!!!

Jacki
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I made the changes that you suggested, and here's what I came up with:

http://www.ccrhorsetraining.com/template4.html

I'm pretty impressed with it, however there is an issue on one of my pages that showed itself after I made these changes. (maybe it won't be a problem at the end of the 12-week course! :D)

http://www.ccrhorsetraining.com/construction.html

I'm not entirely sure what's causing that...and I'm a little leary to mess around with anything, since I'm realizing how much more there is to CSS than I ever thought about.