PDA

View Full Version : IFrame and text files

huffman_j
03-11-2010, 10:05 AM
I am using Dreamweaver CS4 and presently have IE6 as my browser. I am also using Windows XP Pro.

I have been making simple webpages and until recently was able to place a file into an I-Frame using the following code:

<IFRAME src="quotes.php" width="150" height="90">

</IFRAME>

Until recently this has worked with excellent results. Now when I upload the files to the server and try to open the webpage, IE6 wants to download the "quotes.php" file and I can never actually see the page.

I have tried to open the pages in Firefox and IE8 and the results are really screwy.

I am sure this is an IE compatibily problem that has been changed recently, but I am wondering if there is anyway to make the webpage show the way I want them to show.

Thanks in advance

Corrosive
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Could you not just display the contents of 'quotes.php' in a standard div with a php 'include' statement? Tutorial here; http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-includes.php

domedia
03-11-2010, 06:00 PM
The issue might be with your approach. Iframes is not really a tool for designing your website.

gentleone
03-11-2010, 10:03 PM
If you get the download dialog then normally that's because there is no PHP installed on your webserver.

huffman_j
03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
First let me thank everyone for the replies.

Corrosive
Could you not just display the contents of 'quotes.php' in a standard div with a php 'include' statement?

I will certainly look into that possibility. I had never seen the include statement before.

domendia
The issue might be with your approach. Iframes is not really a tool for designing your website.

All of my sites are defined. I knew Iframes are not a great tool, but they had worked and did exactly what I wanted them to.

gentleone
If you get the download dialog then normally that's because there is no PHP installed on your webserver.

I doubt seriously that php is installed because the pages are on a free webspace. I just knew the formats I was using had always worked.

I was messing around I tried another free website (both are angelfire) and created a sample page as I had before.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/fawn/iframe/wedding_01.php

:roll: Low and behold, this sample page worked perfectly. I am not sure why the other server stopped working. I know I have added other webpages to that server and they work but are not using the Iframe, so the server is NOT full.

I do really appreciate the replies because they got me thinking outside of what I am used to.

domedia
03-18-2010, 06:19 PM
ok, huffman you should be all set, your reply was in queue like I suspected.