PDA

View Full Version : Please help

johnjoeedgar
03-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Im in a really sticky situation I have a web site created by a friend using dreamweaver, he has been maintaining my site and updating it on a weekly basis for me. unfortunatley he passed away last week and I dont know what to do with my website. I have dreamweaver installed on my computer and I have all the relevant details for my account with host etc, can I retrieve my site through dreamweaver and continue to update it myself ???????????????/

Corrosive
03-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi John. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

If you have the site defined on Dreamweaver (i.e. local folder structure and remote FTP info) then synchrnoizing the two should download the site files on to your hard drive for you to edit and update as needed.

johnjoeedgar
03-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Corrosive
what weve got basically is nothing to work with i cant get access to his computer!! but I have the dreamweaver software in my tattoo studio which I can install and get up and running. I registered my website and domain name with easily.com and have all the account details and stuff in my emails so Im hoping I can access it from my computer and start to do it myself ????

Corrosive
03-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Get Dreamweaver working, log in to your account using your details and then download the website files. If you have all the correct details then you don't need access to your friend's computer at all.

johnjoeedgar
03-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry Corrosive
I proberbly sound thick, but ive never used dreamweaver before and dont know where to start, in all fairness. although my computer skills are pretty good, is there a tutorial for this sort of problem or can i get some online help to get me started
thanks John

Corrosive
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Not a problem mate. Try reading through this; http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/define-your-site.php to define your site with all the remote access details. Then you can at least see your website files on the server and download them.

Learning DW will be a bit of a learning curve but you're in the right place to learn.

johnjoeedgar
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Much appreciated my friend. im on it now!!!!!

johnjoeedgar
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM
cheers corrosive
done that we have got to the end of that successfully whats the next step matey.

Corrosive
03-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Look in the help files for 'synchronize' and then select to 'get newer files from remote'. That should download all your pages.