PDA

View Full Version : newb here, with a question

irishfreak
03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
i am looking to purchase a newer version of dreamweaver. on my pc i have vista, and on my laptop i have windows 7. i am a student and can purchase the student version. but i understand that i can't download updates, so would i be better off just buying the standard version??? thanks for any help and hi, i like this forum, it is very informative.:mrgreen:

DWcourse
03-04-2010, 01:46 AM
In my experience the student version is a full version and can be upgraded at the same cost as a normal copy when the program is updated.

As for interim updates, I believe you should be able to install those as well although realistically, it's not like Adobe has been diligent about releasing bug fixes for Dreamweaver (and with Windows, you'll likely run into this one right away: http://dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/windows-bug-local-root-folder.php)

Finally, if you're a student, you might at buying a version of Adobe Suite. The academic pricing can be a real deal.

domedia
03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
You can absolutely download updates with the academic license.

irishfreak
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
thanks for your information. i am hoping that with the student version, i am able to build websites, and publish them, as i want to do this a sideline work.

domedia
03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Be sure to read the license.. not sure the student version is meant for commercial use.

DWcourse
03-04-2010, 06:04 PM
It's not and I'm sure no one would ignore that. :roll:

But BTW when you upgrade you can upgrade to a non-academic license.

d a v e
03-04-2010, 07:35 PM
"But BTW when you upgrade you can upgrade to a non-academic license." are you sure? i was always under the impression that you had to stay with the academic versions when upgrading but i could be wrong ;)

DWcourse
03-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I did it in the past but I can't guarantee that's the current policy.