PDA

View Full Version : creating a search field in my website for users to search within my site

robcheshire
03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Hello .

Basically i want a search field in my website so visitors can search withing my website for what they are looking for .

Here is an example website of how i want my search field (search field top right if website)
http://www.asos.com/

So if any one can let me no what code i need to put in or what i should do to make this search field happen .

I dont want to use the google one or pay for one , nearly every website has a search field these days so there must be some code you can put in as no way do every company pay to have there search fields on there website

Im using dreamweaver cs4 . Doing the website in html and using css .

Thanks allot .
Rob .

Corrosive
03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Hi Rob. For this to work you need a database driven website. probably SQL and PHP. Then you can build a search function that trawls your content database and returns relevant results. Otherwise (and I know you said you didn't want to) use Google's. That is just copy and paste some code and voila!

robcheshire
03-03-2010, 12:57 PM
So if it needs to be done in SQL , PHP , do i need to re-design my whole website as i have done it in html using css .....?

Regards Rob .

Corrosive
03-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Nope. the design work still stands OK. PHP is a programming language that can query a database and output HTML. SQL is the database format of choice for most web designers. None of this will effect the template or design of your page but it is a pretty big undertaking to learn it all.

There are prebuilt platforms you can do this on such as Wordpress. I would honestly go for the Google option. Any reason why not?