PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver/web design newbie here!

jphippmail
03-02-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me fix my problem. I don't know much about this kind of stuff, i'm just trying to get a website launched for myself.

Basically my webpage looks differently online then in does in dreamweaver. I've checked the page in both firefox and safari through dreamweaver and no problem. Just when its actually up online. Check out the site here: www.jfishsound.com.

The page is supposed to be laid out with two columns of icons on either side with text in between and a graphic at the bottom. I'm sure this is a easy fix but I need some help!

Thanks in advance

JonnyJ
03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
There appears to be an error in your css file. Try deleting the file off of your server, then re-uploading the css page.

If that doesn't work will you post your css code?

Edit:

I also noticed a blue border around your logo. I imagine you have this turned off in your css page? If not I can tell you how.

jphippmail
03-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I've tried removing my page from my ftp. I don't know if that qualifies for a css file or not. If not I don't know how to... Also don't know how to get rid of the blue and yes any help would be appreciated!

JonnyJ
03-02-2010, 09:23 PM
basically what you should have is a .html file. This is the content of your site. The .html file, in this case is STYLED through a .css file. The .css file tells the .html where all of your page elements should be placed, as well as font styling, and tons of other stuff. The page is not styled how you expect it because the .html file cannot find the .css file to tell it what to do.

If you look at your page source online, you will see that dreamweaver links the .html file to your .css page, so the .css page can tell your .html file where to put your elements.

When I click on your .css link I get the following code:

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>404 Not Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Not Found</H1>
The requested URL /thrColElsHdr.css was not found on this server.<P>
<P>Additionally, a 404 Not Found
error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
<HR>
<ADDRESS>Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.jfishsound.com Port 80</ADDRESS>"
</BODY></HTML>
Basically, what this is telling me is that the server cannot locate the .css file(404 error)

When you are going through your remote file, do you see any file called thrColElsHrd.css ?

If not, locate that file in your local file and send it to the server.

Once I can see how you made your .css file I can show you how to get rid of the blue border. Basically Dreamweaver automatically puts blue borders around any image that has a link in it, which is why that is happening