PDA

View Full Version : Loading only part of a page

JonnyJ
03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a bit of a question, but instead of a direct answer just some guidance might be all I need.

I'm not much of a developer, but sometimes the back end of a project is feaseable enough for me to handle. In this case, I am designing a site for a pr firm.

They would like to have a portfolio page. Once the user clicks to the portfolio page a collumn(aesthetically speaking, I am not using a table) of thumbnails. When a thumbnail is clicked a larger image will pop up(in the same page) to the right with a description of their client.

This would be html 101, but I don't want to make a seperate page for each client(thus making the entire page load every time). I want only the fullsize image to change. In the past I've just used javascript to call up a new browser window to avoid learning this(I know, terrible thing to do)

I imagine this requires javascript of some sort, but do not know where I begin looking. I tried to google this, but a solution through dreamweaver was not found.

Heres what I'm guessing I need to do:

The fullsize image area will be an empty div, lets say 400X400. When I click on the thumbnail javascript calls a seperate html page(that would fit inside the div area) to load into that div box. Is this the right way to do it?

If so, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial?

Thanks a ton guys!

domedia
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Look for AJAX in order to dynamically change the image from the server.
If not the old DW swapImage functions should work as well.
Also there's some nifty solutions already like Thickbox.

JonnyJ
03-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Thank you, I'll take a look at these solutions