PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Aboard

MCD
03-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I am fairly new to web design. I started out using FrontPage and then Expression Web. I decided to try Dreamweaver about a month ago and I like it a great deal. My only problem with Dreamweaver thus far is that unlike Expression Web I cannot connect to a small Access database and get sorted results quickly like I can with Expression Web. I am trying to get a better grasp of CSS at the moment so can anyone suggest the easiest way for now to get results from an Access database using Dreamweaver? Thanks for allowing me to join the forum and any advice is appreciated.

Here is the first two sites I designed with Dreamweaver to give you an idea how raw I still am at web development. They both used the same basic CSS.

http://www.warrengarden-center.com
http://www.fbcspringville.com

Corrosive
03-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

MCD
03-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks Corrosive. Switching to Dreamweaver has not been to difficult. If I could learn to get basic database results I would be happy. Have a good day.

Corrosive
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
I wish I could help but I'd use a SQL database for projects. Access is fine, I just haven't got a clue! :confused: Good luck with it :)

MCD
03-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks, Access has worked fine for me because I needed a database that held co more than a couple of hundred entries.

edbr
03-03-2010, 12:09 AM
welcome to the forum . i wouldnt touch access either partly becaqause of security but i would think there is a lot of help in the dreanweaver help files

davidj
03-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Access...... That brings back memories!

MCD
03-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for everyone's welcome. I have done a lot of searching on the Internet for tutorials. I've wanted to test data on my own machine and the problems could be that I do not have IIS configured properly. Should I install XAMPP and start using it?

davidj
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
XAMPP doesn't support IIS

It deploys the APACHE, MYSQL and PHP technology stack

Your on your own with IIS am afraid

Do you have to use Access and IIS?

MCD
03-03-2010, 01:15 PM
No, I do not have to use Access.

I assume that I would turn iis off if I install and use XAMPP. At this moment I am trying to learn the best way to use Dreamweaver with databases. I have never used anything but Access and Expression Web would connect to it with ASPX in a snap. As stated, I'm a newbie and I obviously have very little dynamic page knowledge.

Corrosive
03-03-2010, 01:19 PM
As stated, I'm a newbie and I obviously have very little dynamic page knowledge.

If only there were some way you could learn PHP and SQL online... Oh, ignore me, it is just crazy talk ;)

davidj
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
yes turn IIS off

You can install XAMPP or WAMPSERVER

I can give you a free primer if you are up for it

PM me if you are interested

kate
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Welcome MCD!