PDA

View Full Version : How do I get to my old site with my new Dreamweaver install?

William3
03-02-2010, 03:01 AM
Stupid question, or maybe not so stupid...

Ok, so I had a site I built in DW CS3, and all was well.

Since then my computer has died, I have built a new one, and I have installed DW CS4 on it.

It's been months since I have updated or connected to my old site, but I need to connect to it. I might be able to remember the password and so forth, but my problem is that DW4 doesn't seem to want to allow me to connect unless I want to click on "New Site" in the site manager. I have a feeling that trying to connect to my old site by setting new parameters in the "New Site" would screw things up.

"Edit site" is grayed out.

Any advice? How do I connect to a previously existing site using a new installation of DW?

Thanks,
--wil

jammer
03-02-2010, 03:15 AM
click new site.
put in the site address and ftp user/pass details and test it
once it works the box on the right will be in remote view so click on the root folder on the top of the list and select "get" from the icons above
dw will download the site to your computer
on the drop down menu which says remote view, change it to local view

done.

jammer

DWcourse
03-02-2010, 03:59 AM
It's not a new site but it is new to this installation of Dreamweaver.

Jammer is basically right but you'll also need to create a folder on your new computer where you will store the local version of the site once you download it. Then in the site definition, point the local info to that folder. Then enter the ftp info under remote info.

You might find it easier to expand the site window so you can see the remote and local sites at the same time. Unless you've changed a preference the remote site will be in the left half of the expanded site window and the local site on the right.

If you don't expand the site palette, you can choose which site (local or remote) is shown in the menu.