PDA

View Full Version : html and css

Antony
03-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Ive not built any webpages for a very long time but have recently been asked to do a couple of them. When I used to do it there was only html. A lot of what I used to do was to put up frames and adjust them for my needs. I can see that things have moved on a great deal and never having used css before I found them simplifying my effort. One thing I do miss is the ability to just place something on a page - move it around and drop it where I need it. Im presuming this can still be done but Im damned if I can figure out how to do it now. Any ideas or am I going to have to learn all the new stuff regardless?

edbr
03-01-2010, 06:50 AM
basically yes. times have changed and frames are bad news today.
yiu can use positively positioned divs but they are usually best ysen in a relatively positioned 'parent div so they will take a reference point form the borders of that.
generally speaking use relative positioning for layout

kate
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I am so glad CSS came in,

I hated tables, hated frames for that 'editable region'. Much better is HTML which is now 4 and CSS.

Antony
03-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Thanks Edbr and Kate. Give me a little while to get used to the changes and Im sure I shall agree with you. In a way I regret not keeping up with things but then you know how life interfers with whatever plans you make :)