PDA

View Full Version : Needed! Basic Java Script Slideshow

Blue_Vision
02-28-2010, 12:08 AM
I need a Javascript rotating slideshow for my banner images on a homepage 815x209. I'd like it to be able to rotate 5 images or so with fades and have the company logo stay static (not fade). I'd like to be able to simply edit the code myself or something so I can change the images myself as I choose. There is no links necessary in the script, just need it to loop and be interchangeable.

Is there a recommended generator that some of you have used and makes things compatible with IE6 and about every browser since then? I'd also be willing to paypal a few bucks to somebody willing to create one of good quality, let me know your price.

Thanks for any help on this!

edbr
02-28-2010, 01:18 AM
check out mbanner

Blue_Vision
02-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Thanks, but I'm afraid that one won't fully cut it. I need simple fade transitions and to be able to keep the logo static through it all (not fading through transitions), if that makes sense...

Any others?

Corrosive
02-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Here you go. Try this link; http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Javascript+slideshows

Blue_Vision
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
yeah, seen that google video thing before. Problem is I've googled a ton of the things prior to posting and can't find one that allows me to keep the logo static as mentioned. When googling doesn't work for that, you ask in a Java forum which is what this is. Take it a step further and offer someone money to help you. Seemed fair enough to me...

Corrosive
02-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Yes, that was a bit flippant but there are hundreds of galleries out there. If you want a consistent logo then maybe make the slideshow in a relatively positioned div and add your logo in an absolutely positioned div and nest it in between the tags so it lays over the top of the slideshow. If there isn't a solution then give it some thought and create your own!

Blue_Vision
02-28-2010, 08:31 AM
well yes, if there isn't a solution I'll find a way to hack it. But before I did that I thought before I spent alot of time into such I might ask in Java forum if others have personally used a quick solution or if they would be willing to make one for me for $$$. I don't know what its like out there but in America the economy is down and people appreciate little side jobs to make a few bucks. If I'm willing to pay or there is a simple plugin then why should I waste my time?

If I'm understanding your post wrong then I apologize but from the sounds of it you seem frustrated at me for asking in the first place...

Corrosive
02-28-2010, 08:41 AM
If I'm understanding your post wrong then I apologize but from the sounds of it you seem frustrated at me for asking in the first place...

No, not at all. I appreciate you are offering to pay someone to do it but you've done a lot of good work so far and I think you have the potential to be a great web developer. Just disappointed you've caved in so easily. I'll happily take your money (we have a recession too) but I'd much rather encourage you to make your own adaptations and learn something along the way. That's what this forum is all about!

If you can choose a slideshow you like using Javascript (Java is something completely different by the way. Don't get the two confused) then we'll help you get the logo bit. Your money stays in your pocket and you've got another good insight into how to hack solutions to get what you want :)

"Teach a man to fish" as DJ always says.

Blue_Vision
02-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Ok, sounds good. I'll create the slideshow and then get help for a logo overlay.

Thing is that I'm not trying to dive to deep into web development as creating websites is not what I do for a living. I want to have a good working knowledge of css, html and maybe php to build basic sites as needed but apart from that I'm afraid to dedicate to much time. I spent 3 months & lots of money last year learning flash/actionscript to create a website and then ultimately decided completely against creating sites that way so I never launched it. It totally exhausted me for nothing.

Java seems like a similar beast especially with html5 gonna gain popularity so although I need to utilize it for the banner, I didn't want to spend any time trying to learn how to actually code javascript.

Does that make sense.

But I didn't realize it would be very easy to overlay a logo so it sounds like its worth doing it that way.

Thanks!

Corrosive
02-28-2010, 10:36 AM
OK, cool. Drop me a line when you've chosen a gallery and I'll check it over and see how easy an overlay would be. I sympathise with learning stuff and then not using it. I've been there before.

BarryD
03-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey - I'm a stumbler, but I've managed to get a reasonably decent website up using html and css with the aid of DW CS4. I'd like, also, to implement a rotating slide show with fades. From what I've read, here and elsewhere, Jquery scripting (I'm just starting to learn it) is supposed to make this easier to implement. What do you folks think?

Overlaying the company logo seems like an interesting challenge.