PDA

View Full Version : RSS Creator for Dreamweaver?

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Hello everyone,
I have an online magazine and I'd like to offer an RSS feed. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, free RSS creator that'll play well with Dreamweaver?

Thanks,
Bill Pitts

domedia
02-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi Bill,
What will you be creating the RSS feed from? In order words; where is the data that you want to be put in your feed?

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Dom,
If you'll take a look at our site, www.newsouthernview.com (http://www.newsouthernview.com/), you'll see that's it's a collection of articles and essays that I'll be adding to and updating with additional photos, graphics, maps, etc. as time permits. We have quite a number of our previously published articles that we'd like to upload, as well as future articles either being written or in the research stage.

If I understand RSS feeds correctly, I'd like to offer up a way for our readers to keep up with these additions and updates.

Thanks,
Bill Pitts

domedia
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
I can see them on the page, that is not really the issue.

The question is where that data is stored. That is the starting point of how you create the RSS feed.

For example, the approach to create the RS feed from a HTML page, is different than from creating the RSS feed from your DB.

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I plan on entering the data myself. These will be summaries of new articles or of recently uploaded reprints from previous issues (we were once a print magazine), or they will be brief notes concerning changes and/or additions to current articles.

Is this what you meant?

Thanks,
Bill Pitts

domedia
02-25-2010, 10:36 PM
I plan on entering the data myself.
Where?? 8)

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Now I feel like I'm on a game show!

Allow me to rephrase my original question.

I have an online magazine and I'd like to offer an RSS feed for our readers. As someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the subject, I need to find out how to go about setting up such a feed and what software I should use to do it.

I know what information I wish to share with my readers (as I've written the bulk of it) but I don't know the best way to present it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, free RSS creator that'll play well with Dreamweaver on a Macintosh?

Thanks,
Bill Pitts

domedia
02-25-2010, 10:55 PM
Do you know if the data is stored in static HTML pages, in a local or external database, in an XML file etc.

If you can't answer this (this is the 4th time trying), I give up 8)

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Now Dom, if you'd simply asked the question properly in the first place, we wouldn't have had to go through all of this hoopla, now would we.

The information that I wish to spread is either in the original text files for the articles that I, or our contributors, have written OR in the pages themselves. Can I safely assume that these are the "static HTML pages" that you referred to?

Thanks,
Bill Pitts

edbr
02-26-2010, 06:26 AM
i think you may be better looking at some blog type soft ware / script that has rss capabilities i would imagine wordpress has it. it is possible also to use a php class to collect from a database an rewrite the file to xml as a feed but then you would need to make an admin section to enter the data