PDA

View Full Version : iPhone compatibility

Blue_Vision
02-25-2010, 12:59 AM
I would like this page to display as close as I can on an iphone as it does on the computer:

http://bluevisionweb.com/index4.html

Any ideas? It looks good on pretty much every safari, firefox, ie and the new chrome. iPhone I forgot about and I really want it too look better then it does on one.

Thanks for any insight into what might help that!

davidj
02-25-2010, 08:54 AM
I think you are missing the point

just because a site looks good on your monitor it doesn't mean it will be the same on a phone.

Take a look at these

http://cssiphone.com/

designed especially for the iphone so the content is optimized for the smaller screen.

As an iPhone user i hate unpinching content in order to read the small text in the top right. Far better have a version which is tailored for the device

edbr
02-25-2010, 09:32 AM
this may help
http://webdesign.about.com/od/mobile/a/write-web-pages-for-the-iphone.htm

gentleone
02-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes agree with DavidJ!. You need to make a specific stylesheet for the Iphone or any handheld.
You get a link something like this in your head:

<link media="handheld, only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)"
href="mobile.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

Blue_Vision
02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help but I actually don't believe I'm missing the point at all. I know about creating iphone versions and I will be doing that at some point here but I want the full version of the site to be compatible.

I'm an avid iphone user and for me personally I can't stand iphone versions of sites. To me one of the whole selling point behind the iphone was the fact that you get a real browser compared to mini browsers and such. On every site I go to there is two versions. First the iphone version and then you have the option at the bottom of the page to switch to the full version where you can do your pinching and zooming if thats what you prefer.

Because I want the best user experience I'm going to do both to accommodate everybody's preferences but before I start building an iphone version of the site I want to build my normal version. I want the normal version to look correct on all the browsers including the iphone now before I go on to code more pages.

Lastly, lets not forget that the ipad will be shipping very soon. Its gonna have the same version of safari as the iphone I believe so its important to get the site looking semi-correct on the iphone to be sure it looks correct on the ipad because I doubt that ipad users will want mobile versions of sites...

:cool:

davidj
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Just open your site in Safari.

If it looks OK then its going to be OK in the iphone as a full site

Blue_Vision
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
no, it doesn't. I'm using safari right now. It looks good in every browser but on the iphone it looks jacked up...

tux
02-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Blue_Vision, you must have something wrong with your site as DavidJ is correct. I have just looked at serveral sites in Safari on my PC and also on my iPhone and they look the same!!

All I can think is you don't have a fluid site or your fixed dimensions are too big. If your site is bigger than say 960 pixels it wont display in iPhone Safari.
I just did a test of a page 960px and it displayed okay in iPhone but a page that was 1024px pushed out of the iPhone display.

Hope this helps.