PDA

View Full Version : Adding a shopping cart to a website

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm a little confused at the moment as to what the difference is between CMS, drupal, wordpress, Joomla, php, asp, and a host of other things.

I've read elsewhere on the web, various different answers, but the best advice i seem to get is from the dreamweaver club forum, being fairly new to web design, the answers i get are always answers i can understand, sometimes people on other sites 'spin off' with an answer that is too advanced for me.

In simple terms, i eventualy want to build a site that can incorporate a shopping cart with a checkout feature.

If i want to continue to use dreamweaver for my layout and design, what are my options for adding a shopping cart to my site that i build.

Do i use asp, php, joomla etc. that's what's confusing me.

The last thing i want to do, is spend a couple of years learning how to make something with a program, only to find a couple of years down the line, that program isn't used anymore.

Technology moves on so fast, what would you recommend i try and learn next that will enable me to build and maintain a shopping cart feature on my site?

Also, i'm a massive fan of unsigned music, and at some point in the future i'd like to build and maintain a local forum that would focus on live music in the north west of england.

Could i kill two birds with one stone by learning a language that would help with a shopping cart and building and maintaining a forum?

Thanks as always guys for any help/advice offered, it really is appreciated.

davidj
02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Zen Cart is something you should play around with regarding your shopping cart requirements.

http://www.zen-cart.com/

You can set this up without any technical knowledge really but you should know HTML and CSS to begin with in order to theme it.

Zen Cart lies on a bed of soft fluffy PHP so if you feel that you would like to pop the bonnet of Zen in the future then you will need this. It is a great language plus you can use PHP for other malarkey in web development.

CMS, drupal, wordpress, Joomla, php, asp, CMS = Content Management System

Wordpress, Drupal and Joomla are content management system's

PHP and ASP are the languages these systems are normally written in

edbr
02-25-2010, 12:14 AM
i have been looking at shopping carts lately and have been impressed with magento and prestashop. both are much more user friendly than zen cart and easier to adapt your own design to IMO. they include a cms to create extra pages should you need also.

domedia
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
After one zen cart site for a client, I'm not sure I will ever do one again. There's gotta be an easier way.