PDA

View Full Version : Javascript & SEO

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I was wondering, i've created a javascript drop down menu, and filled each section with content.

Would the search engines pick up on the text inside of the javascript drop down menu?

Also, i'm not sure if there a definitive answer, but as a rough estimate, what percentage of web users would you say have javascript enabled in their browsers?

Finally, would javascript cause any problems for visitors to my website?

I've tested what my page looks like with javascript turned off, and it still looks acceptable.

Thanks folks

DWcourse
02-24-2010, 02:15 PM
As a general rule most SEOs believe search engines don't process javascript so if your menu requires javascript to be seen (as opposed to work) you're hurting yourself.

However, if the menu is there in the regular HTML of the page (as say an unordered list) and all the javascript does is make it into an interactive menu you should be OK.

In other words, turn off javascript and, if you see the links from your menu in any way, a search engine can read them.

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
In other words, turn off javascript and, if you see the links from your menu in any way, a search engine can read them.

Yup, that's what i done, all the javascript feature does is create a nice drop down menu to hold the content in. so it should be ok you think?

Any ideas on how many web users have javascript enabled?

gentleone
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Any ideas on how many web users have javascript enabled?

It's not really the point how many web users has worldwide disabled JavaScript. What matters are your website visitors. If you have a good statistics program (like awstats) on your web-server then you should see by those statistics how many website visitors has disabled JavaScript. Is this a very small percentage, then you probably can decide to ignore them, but if this is lets say 10% then it is too high to ignore them.

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks Gentleone, it's something i'll have to look into.

edbr
02-25-2010, 12:23 AM
i have seen figures that claim generally 9% of users have javascript disabled but i think this is too high an estimate personally

gentleone
02-25-2010, 04:51 AM
i have seen figures that claim generally 9% of users have javascript disabled but i think this is too high an estimate personally

Indeed! 2% is already the maximum for me.

domedia
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Today it should be possible to create a full CSS menu without having to resort to JS for all browsers.

Even then you can create a sitemap, so search engines will be able to spider your whole site.

Project 7 used to be DW rockstars, not sure anymore, but at one time they had all the magic in their extensions:
http://www.projectseven.com/
Son of suckerfish:
http://htmldog.com/articles/suckerfish/dropdowns/

What a JS menu will provide, which I have not seen a pure CSS menu can do, is to have that slight delay where the menu will not collapse if you happen to go 1 px outside of it.

edbr
02-26-2010, 06:30 AM
also cssplay.co.uk