PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between...

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Building a site, and designing a site?

Are they 2 completely different jobs, or do you think you can learn how to design a site the same way you can learn to build a site. or is the design of a site down to how creative you are?

I've noticed from looking at various sites, a lot of people can build sites with no problems, it's the general look and feel that lets some websites down.

I'm just interested to see what everyones opinions are, design is one of the areas i'll struggle in.

well, saying that, so is building a site at the moment :mrgreen:

gentleone
02-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Depending on the skills of the web developer, he/she should not have problems/issues with developing the design provided by the web designer.

If someone does both then he/she knows his/her developing limitations and should design to those limitations.

kearnsy
02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
If someone does both then he/she knows his/her developing limitations and should design to those limitations.

That's pretty much what i was thinking, i know my limitations, not just in web design but in life in general

Slightly off topic, but for example, the x factor, some people can sing, some people can't sing, and some people think they can sing, when they obviously can't

Some of them would be good on the club circut, and some would be good professional singers.

If you apply that to web design, you have some good amateurs, and some good professionals

The key is knowing your limitations, but my belief is there's nothing to stop you from trying to be the best you can, which is what i try and do.

I'm not deluded in the sense that i think i can do everything myself, i know i'll never be a designer, and i know deep down i'll never call myself a professional, more of a keen hobbyist.

In web design terms, if i was a singer, i'd be aiming to be knocking out a few classics round the working mens clubs.:mrgreen:

Bill Pitts
02-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi Kearnsey,
Take a look at sites that appeal to you and learn from them. For someone who doubts their design abilities, this is a good approach.

The best advice I can give is to focus on the navigation. A site can be chock-full of bells and whistles and all sorts of impressive eye-candy, but if your visitor gets lost trying to navigate around your site, then the message AND the point of your site is lost.

The beauty of the web is that it is such a dynamic system. So design away, and if you don't like the way it turns out once you've uploaded it, then get in there and try again!

Bill Pitts