PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from "anew" and a general question or two!

pbouldin
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone, I see everyone is pretty nice to newbies on here, please understand I'm just looking for some high level help. I've not decided on dreamweaver. For a few years I've been doing .NET on a couple of hobby web sites and my small biz. So I figured this would be the place to get this answered!!

Is Dreamweaver a full Integrated Development Environment?

Does it also create server side code and such that the hosting company needs to be set up for it?

Does Dreamweaver work within .NET or would I need to ask my hosting company for a different type of account? If so, what do I ask for?

Can I do regular flash stuff within dreamweaver too?

By the way, one of my sites is my bluegrass band site, so I would like to do a lot of media stuff, if that helps the context.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I just need some highlevel background!! Any link that would be helpful for these type of questions would be appreciated too!

Patrick :smile:

domedia
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Is Dreamweaver a full Integrated Development Environment?
Yes, but maybe not exactly how you're used to it. It's by heart a front end code editor.
More features here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/features/

Does it also create server side code and such that the hosting company needs to be set up for it?
You can write your own server side code, or try to use some of DW wizards for building them for you. It seems that most people's experience is that the wizards will work for simple stuff, but that it get hard with more advanced stuff. You can choose which server side language to use. The built in support is for ASP, ColdFusion and PHP I think.

Does Dreamweaver work within .NET or would I need to ask my hosting company for a different type of account? If so, what do I ask for?No .net support afaik. But I've never used DW for server side stuff. Anyone?
Can I do regular flash stuff within dreamweaver too? No, but Adobe Flash integrates with Adobe Dreamweaver

By the way, one of my sites is my bluegrass band site, so I would like to do a lot of media stuff, if that helps the context. DW will probably help your productivity. Just remember that DW is not a replacement for skills. ;)

pbouldin
02-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for that reply, it helps. I went to the link you sent and I'm starting to grasp this. If you were in my shoes, where I have a decent, but not expert exposure to web programming, already had a few .net sites but find yourself running into some pain in the butt quirkiness of Visual Studio you would probably understand my frustration. I'm sure that the Visual Studio Pros would say "what's the problem?" but I dont do this all day, I spend a few hours a month on it, at most.

The kinds of problems I have are the Visual Studio IDE is real buggy, WYSI not WYG, and the IDE is VERY resource intensive. I would be hoping that Dreamweaver is somewhat intuitive and I can follow templates or tutorials and get reasonable web/media stuff done. I want to move from my boring ASP.NET site for my band to a fancy flash front-end that is expected of a good music site.

If any more comments I'd appreciate it. I have also been advised to download and try the JDL - so you see my purpose on here is to get some opinions, as you know once you start down a path you could be months/years into it before realizing it was a bad choice.

Thank you,
Patrick