PDA

View Full Version : Make a picture hang over the side of your website container?

thedon
02-20-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi,
i often see websites have pictures hanging over the laft hand side of there website,
How can this be done?
It looks like it is done by CSS, but how is it done?

gentleone
02-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure what you mean... can you show an example site?

Corrosive
02-20-2010, 11:13 AM
It's probably an absolutely positioned div within a relative one and some negative positioning.

gentleone
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I was thinking of this twitter 'follow me' labels that are hanging left or right with position fixed, but I'm not sure if that's what he means.

Corrosive
02-20-2010, 11:47 AM
That's weird. I was just thinking about doing one of those myself.

gentleone
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
That's weird. I was just thinking about doing one of those myself.

Do you need some explanation? :)

thedon
02-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I can't find any at the moment, I will keep looking of what I mean

Corrosive
02-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Do you need some explanation? :)

Ha ha, not really but, if it helps you to get things out in the open, then don't let me stop you... :mrgreen:

gentleone
02-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Ha ha, not really but, if it helps you to get things out in the open, then don't let me stop you... :mrgreen:

Ah well... here you go then :)

A couple of weeks ago I did a site and the client wanted to have his tel, fax and email (in a column) stayed on screen while scrolling. I faked this with position fixed and I even found a way that IE6 parsed that tel, fax and email with position absolute.

The site: http://www.delta-p.nu/indexter

The css:

#sticky-contact {
position: absolute;
top: 30em;
left: auto;
right: auto;
width: 190px;
}
#sidebar-left > #sticky-contact {
position: fixed;
}

Corrosive
02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Good skills :)

dilbophyholla
03-05-2010, 08:19 AM
I agree, but I as well use Notepad as it comes in hand for some things I do. It doesnt have some of the things you would find in some of the commercial packages, if only it did or there was something that did, I would jump on it. Overall NotePad is a good, program.

thoughtsinfonts
05-20-2010, 04:44 AM
When the graphic, say flourishes, frames the "outside" of the page, is this done with an 'outer-wrapper'? I saw what I think the original post is about, which I was wondering myself, on a website that sells website designs with this. I'd post a link, which would help, but don't know if that's polite etiquette. :wink:

kelly