PDA

View Full Version : Why won't my images sit in the correct place?!

lizzieish
02-18-2010, 05:53 PM
www.lizziedrawspictures.com

This is my site I am working on. On the "About Lizzie" and "Lizzie's Pictures" pages you can see that in the top right corner is the name of the page, and in the bottom left corner I have a small copyright image. I am very new to Dreamweaver and so, everything has been done using Divs (I'm still not sure if this the correct way to do things!)

On my "Bits 'n' Bobs" page, if you look you can see that the name of the page, and the copyright image are in the top left corner, yet when I click on the measurements in Dreamweaver to check it over, everything is exactly the same as the pages where everything is in the correct place.

Can anyone see why they don't sit in the same place as they do on the other pages, even though on Dreamweaver everything appears to be the same?

Thankyou for any help you can give me!

Lizzie x

gentleone
02-18-2010, 06:14 PM
The reason why its moving up to the top is because the div where you have inserted the big picture on the previous page is not on that bits & bobs page. That div was pushing the copyright notice to the bottom.

To be honest with you... there is a lot not right with your pages. You don't use a doctype and even on the opening page there is no html, head and body tags. This will lead that especially IE goes into quirks mode.

Your images are way to big, so they are loading very, very slow.

You use div's... that's good, but using only Apdivs is not good...

I'd recommend that you're going to do some online learning... look for CSS for beginners tutorials, because if you go on like this you will ran into problem after problem.

lizzieish
02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Am I going to have to start again? I have absolutely no one around who can help me with this stuff and have been trying to learn purely from the internet. If you can point me in the direction of any beginners guides I would appreciate it loads!

Also, which images are too big?

Lizzie x

DWcourse
02-18-2010, 08:27 PM
You've got to walk before you can run. There's a link in my sig for a very basic dreamwever course (defining your site, basic text formatting with html and css). It's a start but you'll need a lot more than that.

gentleone
02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Am I going to have to start again?
Not really over and over again, but if you want to develop your site yourself, then first you'll have to figure out how a webpage should be developed and why a doctype and basic tags like <html>, <head> and <body> are for.

This article explain all this and the very basics of HTML & CSS.
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/html-css-beginners-guide

I have absolutely no one around who can help me with this stuff and have been trying to learn purely from the internet.
We will help you... no worries, but now its like you bring your car total-loss to a garage and ask the mechanic if he can fix it for you :)

Also, which images are too big?
Your drawing on the opening page for example and your paintings that opens when your click on a thumbnail.... 2500px by 2400 px is not really optimal for the web.

lizzieish
02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Thankyou so much for the links and everything! I am going through the mini course now and am about to read the basic html and css stuff!

I am just so desperate to get this site up and done! I know my gallery images are too big also, I followed an online tutorial then wasn't sure I actually liked the gallery, so I was going to do a new one and so, didn't bother re sizing the images :)

Thankyou again, I shall be posting rather frequently in the next few weeks I think!

Lizzie x

spazzer
02-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi Lizzie,
These books are a good help (I am using the CS3 one) and also come with tutorials:
Can I recommend either this for:

Dreamweaver CS3:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510435

or

for Dreamweaver CS4:
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596522933

Good Luck

kearnsy
02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
hey Lizzie are you in Liverpool? i read on your page you went to JMU

jc1cell
02-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Lizzie,

Lynda.com videos helped me a great deal in understanding dreamweaver and other web design and coding details.

jc