PDA

View Full Version : 2nd font list option smaller than first?

jax23
02-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi There, I have a fixed size site (I know many hate this, but it is what it is ).

The question is: if my font list is arial narrow,helvetica, arial. and in my body styles font is 100% and in ems there-after.

Can I just add a bit of code to make the helvetica and standard arial (if the browser doesnt have narrow) smaller than the narrow? If yes how do I write it? Or what other aproaches are there?

many thanks guys

MagicPower
02-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Please simplify your question or post some code.

d a v e
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM
no you can't - but it's not going to be *much* bigger than narrow anyway is it ;)

jax23
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry if I wasnt being clear enough,

if it defaults to the second font I dont want it to take up any more space than the first font would. Beacuse Arial regular does take up more room I want to force it to be smaller. For exaple if Narrow is 1em, then if Arial Reg is substituted, I want to make it 0.9em.

Thought I could just add a bit of code into the font family . Is there perhaps some javaScript that can do it? Been reading about font size ajust but this sadly doesnt seem to be supported very well yet.

body {font-family: Arial Narrow, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size: 100%;}

I think Dave gets what I mean but Im hoping theres a workaround. And in a paragraph its enough difference to be a problem. Is there a font embeding that works well with SEO?